Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio project - The crystal temple.

ARD
ARD
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ARD
A scene i created a while ago. Decided to upload it here. It was made majorly using Unreal engine, blender, zbrush, photoshop and substance painter.

Feedback most appreciated!

Artstation link: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/GX9VKd

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    Pretty cool, I like the colorful lighting set up and the fun stylized look. I see a few things that can be worked on though, if you are looking to update and improve this scene.

First off, and what stands out the most, your cargo net up on the ceiling could use some more love. Right now it just looks like a jagged wire-frame. Smoother curves would help it look more like a natural pull of gravity. It also could use some rope texture or knots or something to sell the net look. If I'm reading it wrong and it's not a cargo net, then it needs a lot of work to make it look more like whatever it's supposed to be. Also, the pillar that's getting shadows cast on it form what may or may not be a cargo net could use a higher lightmap resolution. The thin little shadows on it are looking splotchy.
    I feel like the salamander statue could use some more polygons, detail, and polish since it/they are so close to camera and such a big part of the scene. Maybe some more anatomical definition, aging and weathering, crack definition, or something else to push it from "hm, ok" to "oh cool".
    Your second image needs a little help with composition. The focal point in the center is obscured by a pillar, making the lantern area on the left the new focal point. But there is nothing interesting over there for your eye to look at after it has been subconsciously drawn to that spot.
  • ARD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ARD
    Pretty cool, I like the colorful lighting set up and the fun stylized look. I see a few things that can be worked on though, if you are looking to update and improve this scene.

First off, and what stands out the most, your cargo net up on the ceiling could use some more love. Right now it just looks like a jagged wire-frame. Smoother curves would help it look more like a natural pull of gravity. It also could use some rope texture or knots or something to sell the net look. If I'm reading it wrong and it's not a cargo net, then it needs a lot of work to make it look more like whatever it's supposed to be. Also, the pillar that's getting shadows cast on it form what may or may not be a cargo net could use a higher lightmap resolution. The thin little shadows on it are looking splotchy.
    I feel like the salamander statue could use some more polygons, detail, and polish since it/they are so close to camera and such a big part of the scene. Maybe some more anatomical definition, aging and weathering, crack definition, or something else to push it from "hm, ok" to "oh cool".
    Your second image needs a little help with composition. The focal point in the center is obscured by a pillar, making the lantern area on the left the new focal point. But there is nothing interesting over there for your eye to look at after it has been subconsciously drawn to that spot.
    Thank you so much! Very helpful! I will definitely consider all of the points and improve on it!