Home Technical Talk

How do i unwrap this?

LosRe
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
LosRe polycounter lvl 4
Hello, as you can see in the image i have some difficulties on unwrapping the highlighted part as a straight island so my textures follow the flow of my edges. How could i achieve this?

Replies

• HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    uh try cylindrical UVW unwrap on the selected area and it should unwrap straight, relax a bit. There are other options too but I ll let you research some more. 
  • LosRe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LosRe polycounter lvl 4
    Cylindrical unwrap worked like a charm, thank you very much. Tried some other stuff too, like i cut the geometry in many pieces so it's easier to straighten the islands and then stick the up again, but it was still away from perfect. Out of curiosity are there any other ways i should try next time if cylindrical unwrap doesn't work? thanks again
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are a ton of techniques that can be applied to a bunch of different scenarios with varying degrees of success. How you deploy those solutions is really depends on the situation. When you hit that stuff you'll probably want to do what you did and make a post =)

I mostly use 4 main techniques and they're pretty fast.

Cylinder unwrap
    • For anything cylindrical (arms, legs, soda cans...)
    • This will do a decent job of forcing the UVs to roughly match the shape of the visualizer.
    • Don't forget that you can rotate the visualizer to place the seam and adjust the orientation of the unwrap.

Quick Planar Map on a selection

• Great for grabbing pieces and chunks and doing a planar map.

Planar map, point to point select edges, cut, relax

• This works great for organic shapes or for sectioning off pieces.

Generate UVs 
    • A lot of objects make decent UVs (boxes, splines)
    • Sometimes its good to unwrap an object while it's in a simple form like a box and then as you model or add subdivisions it has a fairly decent starting point.
    There are a bunch of other weird edge cases that can crop up but this cover about 80% of the unwrapping I do.