Home Career & Education

Anyone know of 3D Vocabulary in Simplified Chinese?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Stefmon polycounter lvl 7
Hey, so I'm doing some 3D workshops in China this year and want to find some vocabulary translations for 3D terms.
It's proving difficult to even find reliable translations for things like environment, model, texture, shader etc.

Although teaching is done in English, some of the students don't really know any and use Chinese versions of the software.
If anyone knows of any resource for translating 3D industry terms into Mandarin (or other languages) that would be super useful.

If no one has any info, I'll make an excel sheet with a bunch of terms and leave it open for editing. Anyone could add terms and translations.

Thanks either way, have a good Sunday

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have any translations. But I worked closely with a Chinese team a few years ago.

We used three main techniques (english-fluent local managers, non-speaking video tutorials, and reverse translation) to communicate across three barriers (language, time zone, and culture).

On-site English fluency among mgmt was the biggest win. "Show me" tutorials were also extremely effective.

Written training is tough though.

I used auto translation to convert English to Chinese, then fed that back in to reverse back to English. Great way to see what failed. Edit, repeat.

Short sentences work best. 

Put technical terms in quotes to preserve them from contamination by neighboring words. 

Use more punctuation than normal.

Though it's not just words, it's not enough to translate directly. Language is intertwined with culture. Avoid idioms (English is full of them). 

Anyhow, good luck! 
  • Stefmon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefmon polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the info  =)