Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pokemon Pallet Town (Realistic Interpretation) Dintober

bhenderson
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
bhenderson polycounter lvl 4
Taking a break from my other project to work on this for the month. I want to be an environment artist so what other way then making environments! I am using this month and the awesome Dinusty challenge Dintober to challenge myself to create an environment from one of my favorite childhood games but give a realistic take. I am focusing on Pallet town (where it all began) but if progress goes good and I have the time or if I come back to it later adding Route 1, and Viridian City, but for now Pallet Town is the focus! The main goal of this project is to push all of my skills as far as being an environment modeler goes, so modeling, texturing, getting it in engine, trim sheets (never have done them) and things of that nature. All feedback as I progress is welcome and very much appreciated. I am going to challenge myself to make at leas *SOME* progress everyday whether that be modeling a single prop, working on a texture, adding something to the scene, any progress is good progress!
SO with that said, Yesterday I spent some time gathering references from in game (Lets go Evee) as well as online screenshots of the layout of pallet town an dhow it has been presented in older games as well!

Replies

• bhenderson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I got a start on the blockout if the Macro objects and shapes as well as a few micro objects as well. I threw it into Unreal and arranged things as they are. Just have to get foliage blockouts as well as set up the outside barriers that surround the town as well as get the small pond in there as well! The sign on the left is a stand in for the larger sign. Excited to get more work done on this and push to have a nice looking piece by the end! Again all feedback is appreciated, cheers!

• bhenderson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to post my progress yesterday. All I got done was just the placement of the houses in somewhat corresponding spots

• bhenderson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I finished today was the micro detail, which included rocks, trees, and smaller meshes. Now it's time to move on to some materials. I am going to do the ground material first and try to get good looking grass and then dirt for the paths as well too! These next few days will be dedicated to making textures!
  • bhenderson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I started working on a Substance Designer material for the ground. Hoping to get this going somewhere tomorrow probably. Trying to better understand designer instead of mindlessly doing tutorials.

• bhenderson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also Trying out some tree models to see how they look in engine and trying to figure out what I will use to show in the background since it is an enclosed town.

• vaskopetrov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vaskopetrov polygon
    Looking great! I'll make sure to follow this project. Good luck :)

• bhenderson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great! I'll make sure to follow this project. Good luck :)

Thanks! I am excited everyday to get home and make progress on it. Hopefully the final product does not disappoint!
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    Looks cool, i like Pokemon from m childhood days so i'll be following this one :)
  • bhenderson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't posted much on this thread in the last few days, I have been super busy with work and such but I am aiming to work on this project AT LEAST an HOUR each day maybe two but at least one hour. This is what I have finished on the texture, working to get a good grass texture going to blend with this one and mix them to make a path in Unreal.

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    You are off to a good start, however I just wanted to mention that your dirt texture is really noisy. It looks more like volcanic rock than dirt actually. I think your Normal intensity, Height, and Ambient Occlusion are all to strong. Always be sure to pay close attention to your reference, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
  • bhenderson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you @JamesBrisnehan , I completely re hauled my material and made sort of a dirt path with some stones ( more like hard dirt making the ground uneven).
    I recently bought Daniel Thigers Substance fundamentals and I have been  grinding away at designer! Once this project is done I am going to spend a few weeks working with designer to get a better understanding of the nodes and what they do, but this works for now.
  • bhenderson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big screenshot dump! I have been chipping away at learning textures and working on the project these last few days (just been learning designer) so there wasn't much to post but I made my material in Designer and also grabbed a grass material from the Quixel bridge and got some vertex painting going. I may make the plan it is sitting on a little higher poly just to make the vertex painting look a little better and since its a portfolio piece it wont hurt to bump up the polys.The goal this week was to get a good or decent ground texture to blend and that was achieved! Now its back to modeling and hopefully getting a modular set up with the two houses that are similar to make texturing easy. That way I only need to texture two houses and then add decals where necessary to break things up. Also still have to place foliage. That will also be this weeks goal! Still chugging and getting about an hour or two of work in everyday! Also not the greatest graph cleanup or set up bit it's something. I could definitely use more details in my ground material and a little more break up but it is a success none the less especially from what I had last week.
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    Oh yah, that is a lot better.
  • bhenderson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JamesBrisnehan Thank you! I am trying to learn designer so I felt this was an okay texture for the time being may try to spruce it up later but for now it works and get the job done. I will be scattering grass and flowers later to so hopefully that will help as well!.
    More progression, got some block out textures on the buildings, and swapped the trees out. Not sure whether to fill out the rest of the outside with Pine trees or Oak trees as portrayed in the game. I also have to do a basic lighting pass and think of camera angles, but for now I will focus on modeling and texturing everything.