Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED][UE4] Frankenstein Laboratory

OscarEsteban5
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
OscarEsteban5 polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys!

Recently I founded a concept of a victorian Frankenstein laboratory (Concept in Artstation) and I decided to create it in Unreal Engine.

I've made this post to upload the progress so you guys could give your opinion about the project.

I hope you like it and be as honest as you can with the feedback, I will be very grateful ;)

SOCIAL MEDIA AND PORTFOLIO:

https://www.artstation.com/oskarter9

https://twitter.com/OscarEsteban15

Replies

• Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    I think you might want to go over your scaling again, the concept is a large, almost warehouse sized space while your environment is very cramped in comparison. It takes away a lot of the mood I think. 

Looking forward to seeing how you progress with it though!
  • OscarEsteban5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're completely right, the space between the center table and the walls could be a little bit larger.

Thank you for your comment and of course I will upload the progress!
  • Brain_Slave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brain_Slave polycounter lvl 4
    Agreed with commentator above, at this stage everything is fine but the room proportions. It's became noticeable while looking at the main table in the center. On original concept this table feels smaller.

I also think that metal barrels at the end of the room could be a bit wider. Good luck with your environment!
  • OscarEsteban5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed with commentator above, at this stage everything is fine but the room proportions. It's became noticeable while looking at the main table in the center. On original concept this table feels smaller.

I also think that metal barrels at the end of the room could be a bit wider. Good luck with your environment!
    Yes, I'll definetely change the scale of the room.

Thank you for the comment!
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    One thing the concept doesn't cover is the opening in the roof which is in most Frankenstein stories. Don't know if you want to put that in or not. Looking cool so far.
  • OscarEsteban5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing the concept doesn't cover is the opening in the roof which is in most Frankenstein stories. Don't know if you want to put that in or not. Looking cool so far.
    Unfortunately I've never read about Frankenstein, but what I liked a lot of the concept was the simplicity of the laboratory, talking about the rudimentary tools, blood everywhere and the clandestine look of the room.

Anyway, thank you so much for your comment dude!
  • OscarEsteban5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made two different versions of the room by resizing it so it would be very helpful if you tell me which you think it fits better the concept.

I read you!

PD: Lights are not properly placed yet.

• Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First is definitely closest. Nice work!
  • Brain_Slave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it feels like the first one is giving more room to work.
  • OscarEsteban5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE:
       New props:
            -
    Skull on the table.
            - Test tubes and liquid vases.
            - Set of candles.
       Few tweaks to the lighting of the environment.

THINGS I WANT TO CHANGE (SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME)
       - Liquid inside the test tubes and vases don't look good to me.
       - Glass reflections.

• OscarEsteban5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE:
       New props:
            - 
    Books that change their material color by moving their position inside the scene.
            - Small tables.
            - Wood shelving.
            - Phonograph.
       - Candle lights changed to movable in order to see subsurface scattering.
       - Enabled distance fields for realistic shadows.

I would be very grateful if you keep giving feedback!

• Brain_Slave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good progress! It's realy hard to say anything special at this stage of work, but you might want to focus on the bigger picture first. Smaller props, lights and detailing are usually last things to do in the scene.

Will be waiting for more of your progress :+1:
  • OscarEsteban5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE:
       New props:
            - 
    Opened books.
            - Chair.
            - Boilers completed.
            - Test tubes support.
            - Wooden box full of test tubes.
       - Few more provisional lights.

There's something related to lighting that makes it feeling "boring" (nothing seems to be the main focus point where the player needs staring at), but I don't know what it is, so I would appreciate it so much if you can help me figuring out what can I tweak or change in the environment to achieve a best look.

• Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you answered your own question. There's no real focal point right now. Logically, I reckon the morticians slab would be the focus but really that's up to you. 

I'd suggest maybe playing with your lights to draw the attention of the viewer to that particular area, using maybe the light coming in from the window to the left, and reducing the lights in the surrounding area to a more ambient light. Right now, everything is pretty evenly lit which is creating that "boring" feel you mention.
  • Brain_Slave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think some lighting contrast would help. The focal center of your environment (in my opinion) is the main and side table (with notes).

So these are the places you want to focus your lights on. I'm also think the scene might be a bit gloomier than it is now. It should be more mysterious.
  • Brain_Slave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A moss on one of the boilers is way to strong and bright.

One more note for overall mood. You might try to change the time of day. I believe night with moon shining from the window would feel better.
  • OscarEsteban5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I captured several pictures of the environment with the entire set of props placed. Moreover, I changed the lighting and color grading as well as the time of day in order to keep the focal point on the central table.

I hope you like the changes and if you have any suggestion, do not hesitate to give your feedback.

• Brain_Slave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It certainly feels better. Lens flares might be a bit too strong though.
  • OscarEsteban5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've already made the Artstation post (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zAe2eL), so it means this is my last progress reply in this post. This doesn't mean you cannot still give your feedback and I would be pleased to answer you and tweak anything of the environment.

Finally, I want to thank everyone who helped me in this project and I'm sure we'll talk in future posts.

Having nothing further to add, hope you like the project guys!