Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Junior Environment Art Portfolio review

PaladinoDosBoliN
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
PaladinoDosBoliN polycounter lvl 4
Hey!

The follow-up to my last post, what do you peeps, environment artists or not, think I can improve on my game art portfolio? 

EDIT: https://www.artstation.com/andrefelipe
 Goddamnit I always forget the link, oughta delete "Attention to detail" from my CV, sorry to waste your time!

Thanks in advance,

Replies

• Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Might want to drop a link ;)
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
  • Spag_Eddy
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I think you've made fantastic use of empty space. Really opens my mind for ponderings.
  • PaladinoDosBoliN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PaladinoDosBoliN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you've made fantastic use of empty space. Really opens my mind for ponderings.
    Sorryyy, link ! https://www.artstation.com/andrefelipe

• PaladinoDosBoliN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Taylor Brown  Here ya go

Here's the correct link! Even though i love this one https://www.artstation.com/andrefelipe
  • PaladinoDosBoliN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might want to drop a link ;)
    Sorry my guy, https://www.artstation.com/andrefelipe
  • Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    Spag_Eddy said:

My bad! Here's the link https://www.artstation.com/andrefelipe
    No worries, my main dude. We're only human. Why, just this morning I brewed some coffee, only I forgot to add the coffee part. Derp.

As for your work, I am but a mere struggling artist still trying to find his place in this scary 3D Artist world and I'm sure others will be able to critique your work better than I, but I personally think it's pretty good, young padawan. The King Arthur piece in particular is very atmospheric and I appreciate the attention to detail you put into all of the structures that create the surrounding crumbling ruins. 

You're definitely very talented and headed on the right path, you have a solid foundation right now, keep at it and don't give up! 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Here's some quick crit;

1) Sword in stone: The pillars surrounding your sword need micro detail. Right now the surface looks really soft. I can't read the material, kinda looks like a mix of stone or ice or something, but I think your scene would be better if the material was more readable. The glowing sword is cool, but it would be even more cool if just the blade was glowing. As it sits, I'm wondering if the sword itself actually looks cool, or if the sword is cool just because it glows. All the background walls look like a solid grey colour and there doesn't seem to be any variation.

2) Cool work! Your grass material applied to the landscape is pretty intense though. It sticks out from the grass mesh a lot, as it is a brighter green. Kind of looks like you went into photoshop and painted a bright green in places.

3) Forgotten Creek: Your trees are really throwing off the entire image. Its what i keep looking at. It's most definitely the leaf cards which look very unnatural. I feel you should be able to see the bottom of the creek more.

Good work all in all, keep pushing though!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Im not an environment guy so these are just impressions.
    1/ Great idea. The white sword doesn't work for me. The scene begs story. Like a magnificent or quirky weapon with the scene supporting it.

2/ My favorite. Again narrative. Maybe a path leading to the top, and the water would look good continuing, or running off the bottom of the image.

3/ The trees look like  cakes. There is such a high density of foliage that they look wooly. Maybe thats what you are going for. The trees in the background look like one model copied a number of times.  Put a couple of different types in and rotate the models a bit to get some variation. The water highlight is a nice focus point. The small bush/grass clumps look out of scale, a bit detailed at that distance.

Nice stuff!
  • PaladinoDosBoliN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    Im not an environment guy so these are just impressions.
    1/ Great idea. The white sword doesn't work for me. The scene begs story. Like a magnificent or quirky weapon with the scene supporting it.

2/ My favorite. Again narrative. Maybe a path leading to the top, and the water would look good continuing, or running off the bottom of the image.

3/ The trees look like  cakes. There is such a high density of foliage that they look wooly. Maybe thats what you are going for. The trees in the background look like one model copied a number of times.  Put a couple of different types in and rotate the models a bit to get some variation. The water highlight is a nice focus point. The small bush/grass clumps look out of scale, a bit detailed at that distance.

Nice stuff!
    Thank you so much for the feedback!
  • PaladinoDosBoliN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some quick crit;

1) Sword in stone: The pillars surrounding your sword need micro detail. Right now the surface looks really soft. I can't read the material, kinda looks like a mix of stone or ice or something, but I think your scene would be better if the material was more readable. The glowing sword is cool, but it would be even more cool if just the blade was glowing. As it sits, I'm wondering if the sword itself actually looks cool, or if the sword is cool just because it glows. All the background walls look like a solid grey colour and there doesn't seem to be any variation.

2) Cool work! Your grass material applied to the landscape is pretty intense though. It sticks out from the grass mesh a lot, as it is a brighter green. Kind of looks like you went into photoshop and painted a bright green in places.

3) Forgotten Creek: Your trees are really throwing off the entire image. Its what i keep looking at. It's most definitely the leaf cards which look very unnatural. I feel you should be able to see the bottom of the creek more.

Good work all in all, keep pushing though!
    Thanks for taking the time to crit my work!

Really liked the points you made, i'll look into them
  • PaladinoDosBoliN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy said:
    Spag_Eddy said:

My bad! Here's the link https://www.artstation.com/andrefelipe
    No worries, my main dude. We're only human. Why, just this morning I brewed some coffee, only I forgot to add the coffee part. Derp.

As for your work, I am but a mere struggling artist still trying to find his place in this scary 3D Artist world and I'm sure others will be able to critique your work better than I, but I personally think it's pretty good, young padawan. The King Arthur piece in particular is very atmospheric and I appreciate the attention to detail you put into all of the structures that create the surrounding crumbling ruins. 

You're definitely very talented and headed on the right path, you have a solid foundation right now, keep at it and don't give up! 
    Thanks for the kind words! 
    Hope i make it ahaha