Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chest for the God of War World

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
PaulEvans92 polycounter lvl 4
So im currently creating a small scene manily focused on the chest, Im trying to create a small scene that would fit within the world of God of War, I have some screenshots. Il be using this thread to post updates and recive feedback :) 

Replies

• PaulEvans92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i went into the stage of sculpting. I really have started to love this stage ! Next is to sculpt the chest and the the ground ! 

• PaulEvans92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bake Attempt 1 came out pretty nice

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    No way dude, I made some God of War pillars a while back too! Runes and all.

I think your sculpt is missing some harder/sharper details. Right now your pillars look a little soft. When you're dynameshing, try turning off blur, as this gets tends to soften the the sharp, jagged parts of your sculpt. It wouldn't be very difficult to go back in and sculpt some sharp detail and just rebake to the retopo'd/UV'd mesh you've already got there.
    I look forward to seeing this completed!
  • PaulEvans92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I SAW YOUR RUNES THEY ARE AMAZING !!!!!!!, Ok great il turn off the blur I didnt even know that was a feature !! I'm Going to get this piece looking great. Thanks for the feedback ! 
  • PaulEvans92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the new bake :) 

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Sorry, I have an obsession with sculpting rock and stone hahaha. Here's what I'm seeing so far;

- Your edges are now more crisp, but they're wobbly. There are areas of your pillar which are curved and round, but I would expect them to be jagged and rough.
    - The indents you carved above and below the runes, I think those should have been done differently, not carved. A good way of doing this with the high poly is to mask rectangle the area's of the model you want indented, and then geometry > modify > expand (play with the settings) and shrink that area. Then you'll get a high quality indent in that area.
    - You're still missing deep, sharp damage in the most damaged area of the pillar. Don't be afraid of turning up that brush strength.
    - There is a ring around the bottom ledge which looks like a bake error, maybe it's ambient occlusion? Not sure.
    - The runes aren't really carved in a straight line, and I feel anybody hired to carve this pillar is going to be an expert, and have their carvings straight. My workflow was to create the runes in photoshop, use this as an alpha on my mask, then carve away with a clay build up/square alpha.
    - I wouldn't bevel the very bottom of your pillars. It gives a nice silhouette, but it's better to have them grounded with sharper edges. Damage down there is ok though. I regret beveling the corners and edges on the bottom of all the pillars I've created before.

Do you have any reference images you're going off of for your stone carvings?