Home Marmoset

How to bake normals with just a floating geometry object on all surfaces in the scene

ShinobiNoMono
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ShinobiNoMono polycounter lvl 5
Hi all,
I just struggle with this since a few days.

I exported a scene (BOX_low.fbx and Box high.fbx) with 2 boxes each (box_small / box_big). I also exported 4 balls (balls.fbx). The first 2 balls are touching the box_small and the other 2 balls the box_big. What I need to achive is, that I want to use the balls as floating geometry for both boxes.
Problem is that I can only assign the balls to either the high slot of box_small or the box_big. I, of course can duplicate the balls and assign it to the other slot but everytime I update my scene, Marmoset put the scene to it's default state and I need to assign everything again. I may do something wrong....
Does anyone knows a workaround for that ?

Cheers Olli

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What you should do in this case is duplicate the objects in your 3D app, and save them into the FBX files where appropriate. If you keep your file / object structure the same in your 3D app, it will make managing and reloading the files a lot easier.

When you load a FBX file it comes in as a "File Reference" object - this object keeps track of any changes to the FBX file on disk and reloads when the file is saved over. When that happens, you can think of it like the file being replaced entirely. So if you duplicated some objects or moved some objects out of the File Reference object, it won't be able to handle those changes.

I would suggest using the Quick Loader as well, rather than manually importing and placing FBX files in bake groups. More on that here: https://marmoset.co/posts/toolbag-baking-tutorial/

Alternatively, you can remove objects from the File Reference, and this will essentially orphan them - they'll no longer be auto-updated if you make changes to the file. So if you need to manually duplicate and move an object, this is a good way to do it as you essentially have a "dumb" object now that won't be tracked or replaced on file reload. I would recommend not doing this for the most part, but if you have a specific need for a mesh that won't be removed or updated this is the way to do it.
  • ShinobiNoMono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShinobiNoMono polycounter lvl 5
    WOW Thanks. makes sense ! Many thanks for the detailed explanation.