Home Technical Talk

Blender 2.8 vertex snapping.

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
kanga quad damage
Latest Blender 2.8 RC, win 10.
Trying to follow a tute and the instructor snaps a bone  to a rig. I have the same settings but the bone wont snap in a vertex setting. Curious about Blender snapping in general I tested the function out on a cube. The snapping was not reliable. I opened a 2.79 file with the same result. It works sometimes depending on the edit camera angle and distance from the mesh. This leads me to believe Ive missed something. Proportional editing is off.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Replies

• FrankPolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon grand marshal polycounter
    I tested this and noticed that the vertex snapping happens from the cursor location and not the bone location. Cursor starting location becomes an offset between the cursor and bone when using move. This can lead to situations where the bone has to be moved off the object to get the cursor over the vertex. Once the cursor is over the vertex it will snap to the bone to that location.

I tested this further with the bone in one corner and the cursor in the opposite corner. Using the move tool would cause the bone to go outside of the camera's view. The bone bounces in every time the cursor hits a vertex and it bounces out every time the cursor moves off a vertex. The rest seemed to work as expected?
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    Is your transform origin set to Median?
  • FrankPolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon grand marshal polycounter
    @ant1fact Not sure if you're asking me or kanga but I was using the move hot key. I should have mentioned that in my first post.

After a move operation starts with a hotkey there's a fixed offset between the mouse cursor location and the object origin. This could lead to a situation where the user has their mouse cursor close to the object origin but not as close as it would be if they were initiating the move with a gizmo and the effect would be subtle enough that snapping may appear to be unreliable. Starting the move via the hotkey with the mouse cursor across the screen just makes the effect more noticeable.

Using a move gizmo with the pivot point set to 3D Cursor would cause a similar issue. The fix for that would be to set the pivot point to Median Point and then use the gizmo. Other than those two situations I wasn't able to replicate any odd or inaccurate vertex snapping behavior.

If he's using the gizmo to initiate the move then only other thing that comes to mind is an axis constraint but I feel like that would be too obvious since it highlights the constraint line. It would be helpful to see when and how he's encountering these snapping issues.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Thanks FrankPolygon and artifact. In the scene my transform origin is set to median if you are talking about the pivot point.

FrankPolygon, Thanks for the response!  The tutorial I followed was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYqsEEgan7s and the settings are at 7:07. My settings are the same. Using the cursor to snap to the target area and snapping the new bone to the cursor works, but its not what the guy in the tute does. Testing snapping further I noticed that changing from vertex to edge and face then back to vertex worked better, but still not like I would like.

Thanks guys.