Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Question] Tileable textures and uniqueness for terrain.

So hopefully this is the proper page to ask this on but I'm currently experimenting with some stylized materials, and I've actually yet to ask this but when using a tiling texture on terrain, especially a large piece of terrain how do you go about breaking up the repeating look of it. I assume things like a 2nd or even 3rd material blend in areas, maybe grunge maps. But I'm really not sure where to begin going about doing that stuff. Would anyone happen to have tips or even know of tutorials for it? Ideally I'm trying to emulate a look similar to Breath of the Wild as a side note.

Replies

• HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    for terrains its called splat maps, basically and RGB color map each color representing grass, rock, water etc (could be anything) you get those from your terrain generation program or you can do manual masking / painting within game engines on terrain mesh. 
    Checkout Polywiki pages for more info on this, these days there are plenty of plugins that can help you speed up this process. Checkout Brushify and Worldmachine youtube vids to get more idea on this. 
  • Aquawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was attempting to go about it a manual way, or if Unreal has it's own nodes I could use to assist. As for Brushify I don't really have any expendable income at the moment, I was going to say the same about World Machine, but apparently it has a free version with some limitation so maybe that would work at some point. As far as manual making / painting I'm going to assume it's what I was previously intending which was just a 2 or 3 material blend and pick and choose where stuff is.
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    You could also try "texture bombing" to reduce the tilling look. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70_DH-6YINU