Home Technical Talk

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition 11Gb -> died completely after the "space invaders" artefact

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
FourtyNights polycounter

Out of nowhere after 6 months of using my 2080 Ti, it failed suddenly. The first symptom was that "space invaders" type of artefacting on the screen I've seen articles written and images posted about it. After the screen was frozen with that artefacting, my PC booted.

Yesterday, I was using Blender's Eevee when this happened. On a second try, same issue happened with screen full of "space invaders", but this time with additional bright artefacting colors, and PC booted again... but on the third try, I couldn't get into Windows 10's desktop anymore. PC is on, but the screen is black. Tried all 3 DP ports and HDMI port, and nothing. Even Windows hotkeys to shut down the PC wasn't working, so I had to hold the power button to shut it down completely. So I guess, it didn't reach Windows when booting, since one of the hardware pieces isn't responding the way it should.

Further tries after the 3rd boot, I simply can't use my PC normally anymore.

The driver I've been using is "Nvidia Studio Driver": https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/147971/en-us, but this definitely can't be a driver problem, but a physical damage to the circuitry or something. Even games worked fantastically with this driver, just FYI.

The card worked 6 months perfectly without problems. For example, I've played Resident Evil 2 Remake, No Man's Sky and Prey without problems. Super fast (max 144 fps) and great card in general in the past of me using it, no doubt. And I've done ABSOLUTELY NO overclocking or whatsoever. Everything is stock and default factory stuff.

I've also checked the manufacturer of GDDR6 with GPU-Z, and it's Micron. So, that also tells a lot. I guess I've been just unlucky, and got myself 2080 Ti from a faulty batch.

I still have warranty left, and I'll see how fast the replacement happens in the local store I bought my brand new PC earlier this year. Wish me luck, not getting another secretly faulty one for a replacement, so that this cycle of death doesn't happen ever again.

Replies

• FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Update 1: Got a temporary graphics card (GTX 1660 from the shelf of the store, a Turing card, so same drivers are working) to keep using my PC while waiting for RMA getting dealt with my RTX 2080 Ti, and eventually, get a new card.
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Update 2: Finally got a brand new replacement card. Same EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition 11Gb. But this time GPU-Z says that the manufacturer of GDDR6 is Samsung. I've heard it got switched from Micron to Samsung for newer batch to resolve the faulty chips. At least now I have a bit more trust with the card. (;