Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Advice Needed] Having trouble modelling low-poly organic form (humans/creatures) in 3DS Max...

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Roxirin polycounter lvl 3
(Wasn't sure if this was the right forum category, please let me know if I need to move it!)

Last year I started my first year doing Game Art at university. We primarily create 3D models using 3DS Max (second and third years are taught ZBrush, but first years stick to Max at first). We had one project where we needed to create a uniformed worker character with no more than 5000 tris, using 3DS Max exclusively. I had a serious amount of trouble. 3DS Max, to me, is a program more suited for geometric creations such as furniture and weapons. Either I'm right on that front, OR there's something I'm really missing when it comes to creating organic forms in 3DS Max. As much as I would love to block something out and then turbosmooth it to make it more rounded, obviously due to low-poly constraints in my course, I can't do that.

Any tips for a beginner in 3D for making lower-poly organic forms in 3DS Max? Many thanks in advance for any responses.

Replies

• Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Hey! Are they expecting somthing like this as the result? Youre right in that 3ds is far more suited for non organic objects. With that poly count it seems like they want you to make a mobile game or moba style character. Tho even models for things like league of legends which has a very low poly budget will sculpt in Zbrush first.

I did however find this channel on youtube which has a few videos on this subject, includes a 3 part series on modelling a character. good luck!
  • Roxirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roxirin polycounter lvl 3
    Pav3d said:
    Hey! Are they expecting somthing like this as the result? Youre right in that 3ds is far more suited for non organic objects. With that poly count it seems like they want you to make a mobile game or moba style character. Tho even models for things like league of legends which has a very low poly budget will sculpt in Zbrush first.

I did however find this channel on youtube which has a few videos on this subject, includes a 3 part series on modelling a character. good luck!
    Thank you very much for your suggestion! Our models had to be even lower poly than the one you have given, that's a lovely example too :0 I'll take a look at that YT stuff, much appreciated! :D