Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Environment Any and All Feedback Appreciated.

bnoble
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
bnoble polycounter lvl 4

This is my environment I am working on, it would be my first completed environment looking for critiques. I want to improve it and become an environment artist. 

Replies

• bnoble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bnoble polycounter lvl 4
    Right and I forgot here is reference 
  • Anura_Interceptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anura_Interceptor polycounter lvl 5
    The tiles are less reflective than the reference, which isn't a bad thing if you're doing your own take on it. You should make the light more yellow though. Pure white light looks very sterile and artificial compared to sunlight. The weapons on the wall could use some more variety to break up the symmetry a bit. For example you could replace the top shield with a large two-handed axe and throw in a sword and mace with the shields so it's not just axes.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Before you get into materials, i think there is some issues of not matching geometry to the references  you should handle first.

Notice the size of the door in the reference, and compare it to the height of the ceilings. Also notice the angle of the arches. Overall effect is that the reference feels large, airy, and grand elven castle. Because of the mismatch of proportions, yours feels squat, like a place made for dwarves.

I am not sure the axe display fits with the architecture theme. I am no history buff, but this is like 15th century western european style, no? Not saying they can't have axes on display, just seems like a bit of a mismatch to me.

• bnoble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bnoble polycounter lvl 4
    Yes thank you guys for the feedback I posted this on a facebook group and got the same feedback pretty much. I have updated my scene this is what look looks like now

• bnoble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bnoble polycounter lvl 4
  • Brain_Slave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brain_Slave polycounter lvl 5
    Looks like a good start. You might want to change the color of the sun light to be a bit more warmer and less brighter.

As for the arcs, I think they will look better with some deepening into the wall. Like this:

• bnoble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bnoble polycounter lvl 4
    Hmm that is something to think about, you mean pushing in the pillars with the design on it more into the wall? 
  • Brain_Slave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brain_Slave polycounter lvl 5
    bnoble said:
    Hmm that is something to think about, you mean pushing in the pillars with the design on it more into the wall? 
    Not the pillars but the space between them, where the bricks are currently.

I mean, the black painted area can be pushed in.