Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Jums

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
jums polycounter lvl 4
Hi! My name is James and I'm a 3D artist based in the UK. Finally decided trying to be actually active on this site so I figured beginning a sketchbook is as good a start as any! Expect lots of handpainted props

Mostly going to be WIP stuff with finished projects available on my ArtStation.
I'm here to learn and improve so feedback and critique is always welcome!

Currently we're doing a 3D rendition of some Hearthstone card art:
Original piece is 'Spirit of the Raptor' by Christopher Hayes (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/mqzQzY).

So already well on its way to being finished, it's mostly just finalising textures. A little ambivalent about the 'bone hook' things but we'll see how they go when I've rendered out their textures. Very much trying to make something that could be seen in World of Warcraft proper.

Replies

• jums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jums polycounter lvl 4
    Today's update: Additional rendering of the gold, pushed the highlights on the leather some more, as well as iterating the bone hooks. Removed the 'holey' object within the ring as I really couldn't make sense of it within the piece. All that's left now is some additional rendering on the hooks, another pass on the leather, some touches on the feathers, as well as softening the ridges along the big tusks. Then we're just about done!

I also managed to do some cheeky sketches for flail designs, during which the idea of a 'necromancer's flail' occured to me - a nice project for October, perhaps? They're very quick drawings, really just to get ideas out of my system. I think I'd like to come up with some shield designs to go with the flail before I draw up a more final, polished concept.

• jums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jums polycounter lvl 4
    It's finished! Completed it this afternoon and quite please with how it turned out! Better images and Sketchfab upload can be found here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lV49lG

Didn't do any 3D stuff over the weekend but I did do some drawing, featuring a Wildhammer home and goblin perpetual motion kettle.

• jums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jums polycounter lvl 4
    Ended up starting on the kettle:

• jums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jums polycounter lvl 4
    Cheeky side-project. WIP dwarven hammer
  • jums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jums polycounter lvl 4
    Unexpected break but we're back at it.

So a few changes, realised that the proportions were off for what I wanted - which is a one-handed weapon - so they have been adjusted. Redone the wrappings on the handle multiple times, added some weathering, and am now exploring FX.
    The effect I want to achieve is that the hammer is flying through the air after being thrown. This is just an early test for now, however.
  • jums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jums polycounter lvl 4
    It's been a while since I've done some handpainted models, so I did a couple of quick shields today. The designs are inspired by the Conqueror's shields from For Honor.