Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

How close to perfect is my prop?

node
Offline / Send Message
baccene node
Hey guys I just wanted some critiques on my first prop since graduating Full Sail's Game Art program. I spent the last month modeling and texturing this gas pump. Please let me know anything that seems off, or could be better. I really appreciate it.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, this gas pump looks pretty sick. Great job :)

- Your rubber hose looks a lot newer than the rest of the pump. I would suggest maybe adding large scratches, more roughness variation, something of the sort.
    - Could use some dirt/grime/chipping damage at the base.

These are just opinions. Looks really cool.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    "Perfect" is a weird word, but I wouldn't question it in a game, even as a hero prop. So that means it looks good.

I actually think it won't serve you well to ask a question like "how close is my work to perfect" because there is not and cannot really be a perfect.

Some thoughts:

The actual nozzle looks like it may be lacking some detail, but it's hard to tell from this angle. Looking at it bigger, the normal map for that area seems boring, and shades a bit weird. Did you change the nozzle's mesh at all after baking?

This bit:

I think the texturing on the body of the pump is really nice, and reads as plausible.

I'm a little distracted by the generic font of "THIS SALE", but it could very well be accurate, I'm not sure.

More shots would help us give fuller thoughts.

Now, on to the next project! I look forward to seeing it.
  • baccene
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    baccene node
    Joopson, thanks for the  advice. The title of  the thread is a little provocative so apologies for that. I  feel the same way about the words "THIS SALE" but it's  how  it is in reference... Im might  wear  it down some more  there since we both got a  weird feeling from it. Ashervisalis, thanks for the critique. I'll run the rose through  the dirt some.  Thanks guys.