Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Curtiss SB2C Helldiver

Anura_Interceptor
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Anura_Interceptor polycounter lvl 5
I've been working on this plane for the past month or two. I've finished the low poly, but now the high poly is giving me serious trouble. This shape on the nose is incredibly complex, lots of important geometry intersecting at this one area.

Is this practical to box model or should I try sculpting then retopologizing it? I tried for a few hours to get this but everything I've made has had issues with either too much geometry causing poles and pinches in the surrounding nose areas or not enough geometry to define the shape properly. Here's the pictures of the finished low poly.

Replies

• Anura_Interceptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anura_Interceptor polycounter lvl 5
    Of course it's practical to box model, that was a stupid question. Just had to start with only the intake and build everything else to fit. Think it's still too tall relative to it's width, but all my references measure the intake as being around 4 times wider than it is tall in pixels, which my intake is, so I'm having trouble determining why it looks so different proportionally. This part has taken around 5 hours so far and still needs more fine-tuning, is that too slow for something like this?