Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Help Wanted] Stylized stones

Hi folks,
I'm a total beginner, and trying to learn how to sculpt stylized styles (Orb/FAF style specifically).
After watching a bunch of tutorials and practice practice practice, here's what I came up with.
I feel that I'm missing something entirely, because I can't even get anywhere close the looks of their stones, and would love if someone could help me understand what I'm doing wrong. I do understand that is a matter of practice, and willing to put in as much as needed, but I also would like to practice the "right" thing, rather than trimdynamic stones for weeks obtaining the same result over and over again.
I did use reference (both real stones and orb renders), but probably not enough, that's something I can surely improve.
Variance/Randomness is probably something i can also improve upon.
Thank you for your time
Here's a render in zBrush for feedback

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    First off, lemme say, this ain't bad. Looks like stone! A lot of the heavy pulling will be done by texturing. If you were to texture this and throw it into a toony scene, it would read as stone for sure. That being said;
    - Some variance in the bevel width would be nice.
    - Increase the depth of your cracks by upping the brush strength.
    - Use trim smooth borders (one of my favourite stone brushes) to flatten off some of the corners. I actually use this brush over Orb's flatten brush. Make sure to put a square alpha on it.
    - Rotate a cube or two to break up the flat continuation you got in the front. I also feel you could be a bit more extreme with pushing the blocks around in order to break up the silhouette.

I'm not sure what your workflow is like, but once I've got the proper silhouette going, I usually crank the sub divisions, and if I use dynamesh, I turn off blur, or else the nice sharp chiselled parts don't stay as crisp.

I know it's not about rock sculpting, but the main thing bothering me right now is that this structure wouldn't work. I'm assuming it's leaned against a wall, or mirrored with another version of itself, but once you throw gravity into the situation, it all comes down.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Check Orbs work out for inspiration. http://archive.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?199930-Orb-Heroes-of-The-Storm-Art-Dump

It took me a long time to get alright at sculpting in zbrush. I suggest to be patient and don't give up.

• Rukola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage said:
    Check Orbs work out for inspiration. http://archive.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?199930-Orb-Heroes-of-The-Storm-Art-Dump

It took me a long time to get alright at sculpting in zbrush. I suggest to be patient and don't give up.

Hi thanks!
    I did check it out, and used it as reference, it looks so good and my problem is that I just don't seem to "see" what am i missing/doing wrong. Patience and practice indeed, I'm just trying to understand what i should actually be practicing to improve in that direction
    First off, lemme say, this ain't bad. Looks like stone! A lot of the heavy pulling will be done by texturing. If you were to texture this and throw it into a toony scene, it would read as stone for sure. That being said;
    - Some variance in the bevel width would be nice.
    - Increase the depth of your cracks by upping the brush strength.
    - Use trim smooth borders (one of my favourite stone brushes) to flatten off some of the corners. I actually use this brush over Orb's flatten brush. Make sure to put a square alpha on it.
    - Rotate a cube or two to break up the flat continuation you got in the front. I also feel you could be a bit more extreme with pushing the blocks around in order to break up the silhouette.

I'm not sure what your workflow is like, but once I've got the proper silhouette going, I usually crank the sub divisions, and if I use dynamesh, I turn off blur, or else the nice sharp chiselled parts don't stay as crisp.

I know it's not about rock sculpting, but the main thing bothering me right now is that this structure wouldn't work. I'm assuming it's leaned against a wall, or mirrored with another version of itself, but once you throw gravity into the situation, it all comes down.
    Hey Ashen,
    Thanks for your feedback! I'll definitely try all those points!
    It's half of a magic portal, so magic will overcome gravity and keep it together :)
    I really just wanted to steer away from the classic half circle portal shape, and make it a bit more visually interesting