Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Seeking feedback: Fantasy Character

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello Polycount!

This is my first post. I was on a 6-month hiatus from 3D, and seeking to reignite my passion and motivation for my next project. I learned a lot during this process but personally, the hair texture + style was the biggest challenge for me. That was part of my self-evaluation, but I think I can gain more perspective from you.

Some advice you can give me:
- What was your first impression?
- What can I do better?
- What fundamentals should I build on?
- What should I try incorporating? What should I try/tackle next?
- What books/tutorials/tips do you suggest?
- Got any inspirational references for me?

Any feedback is highly welcomed!
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4bNGGn

You rock! 
Thank you :)

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks awesome! Biggest thing standing out to me right now is the head looks too small.
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan sublime tool
    I think the small head is kind of a cool look. It makes her seem really tall, like 7 feet. Kind of reminds me of Fran from Final Fantasy 12. Any way, the thing I think could be improved is that her skin texture is reading a bit like plastic. A stronger sub surface or translucency effect would help. Some color zoning in the base color and more break up in the roughness or micro-surface would look nice as well. Other than that, she is looking pretty cool. That fiber optic hair is really interesting.
  • nene
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome! Biggest thing standing out to me right now is the head looks too small.
    Well noted! I will keep that in mind for the next project. 

Thank you :) 
  • nene
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the small head is kind of a cool look. It makes her seem really tall, like 7 feet. Kind of reminds me of Fran from Final Fantasy 12. Any way, the thing I think could be improved is that her skin texture is reading a bit like plastic. A stronger sub surface or translucency effect would help. Some color zoning in the base color and more break up in the roughness or micro-surface would look nice as well. Other than that, she is looking pretty cool. That fiber optic hair is really interesting.
    Would you have any tips / resources on how to get the translucency effect "well distributed" (not sure how to phrase that better) so that some parts are less translucent than others? Perhaps a hand-painted map of some kind? 

Thanks for the feedback :)
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan sublime tool
    It says on your Artstation page that you're using Marmoset and Substance Painter right? Well according to this guy,  https://marmoset.co/posts/creating-realistic-skin-toolbag-saurabh-jethani/  all you have to do is bake a thickness map, adjust it to the values you want, and pop it into the 'translucency map' slot.
  • nene
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It says on your Artstation page that you're using Marmoset and Substance Painter right? Well according to this guy,  https://marmoset.co/posts/creating-realistic-skin-toolbag-saurabh-jethani/  all you have to do is bake a thickness map, adjust it to the values you want, and pop it into the 'translucency map' slot.
    This post is gold <3 Thank you!