Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need portfolio feedback! Recent graduate

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello! I am a recent graduate and currently looking for jobs! I am applying for 3D artist and 3D character artist positions. Excited about indie, small teams and AAA opportunities.
I am looking for advice on my portfolio https://www.artstation.com/elizabethn
  1. What should be gone from it?
  2. What can I add to make it better?
  3. Presentation advice/ work critics
  4. General thoughts?

I welcome all  the constructive input!
Here are some images from my portfolio!

Replies

• TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    Looking at your portfolio, I think you should focus on characters since you seem to be enjoying creating them more than props.

My advice is to remove Cozy spot, Anatomy study WIP, and Old Betsy.
  • LizNSkaya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your input! But recently I actually heard an overwhelming amount of exactly opposite advice. A lot of time recruiters want to see anatomy studies and examples of hard surface modeling. So, I guess my question to you is why remove? Do those totally suck?
    I also want to be able to apply for broader range of 3D modeling jobs, because I need a job ASAP!
    But again, thank you for your advice!
    Looking at your portfolio, I think you should focus on characters since you seem to be enjoying creating them more than props.

My advice is to remove Cozy spot, Anatomy study WIP, and Old Betsy.

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Id say your character work is decent for a recent grad but not quite industry quality.  You're on the right track.  The anatomy study, while useful, is not quite up to par.  I would remove it just so it doesn't stand out as a weak piece for now.  At least until you can either improve it or do a better one.  I would say env assets should be removed if you are applying for character art positions.  If you want to add a hard surface piece, make one that applies to character art...an armor or a weapon.  if you are applying for generalist positions, I suppose it's ok to have it but maybe you can silo them into folders and only link to what's relevant depending on who you are applying to.  My main crit on your characters are the anatomy def needs work.  Posing feels awkward as well.  Texturing is fairly lacking as they feel quite unfinished and unpolished.  You should absolutely make more personal art but maybe try working on something and taking it to a higher fidelity level: 

-really try to push your understanding of anatomy, get lots of feedback from someone who really understands anatomy.  this can be daunting so even starting a bit smaller and focusing on a bust might be helpful.
    -pick something that has multiple material types...skin, eyes, hair, metal, cloth.  this will make for a much more interesting character.
    -push your texturing to much higher fidelity.  this is a spot you really need to work on.  this all comes down to ref and feedback.  
    -work on materials in engine.  not sure which engine you are comfortable in but I would look into making your materials look better for skin, hair, eyes, etc.  it will go a long way in making your faces more appealing.
    -work on posing(possibly some light rigging) and rendering.  your posing is all very unnatural and hurts the final renders a bit.  
    -presentation could use some work too.  look around and see what works for other people and work on templates that really accentuate the art.  

hope that helps!

• LizNSkaya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your detailed input! Glad to know that I am at least on a right track.
    Will definitely work and improve on the the things you pointed out!

By engine do you mean Unity/ Unreal? I render my works in Marmoset Toolbag, it does count as an engine, I guess.

Right now I do definitely looking more into generalist jobs, because I feel that it might take me too long to make all the needed improvements on my character art. I am not giving up, but simply adjusting to the situation I am in, it is important to me to work and gain experience after my graduation.
    Thank you for your time!
    slosh said:
    Id say your character work is decent for a recent grad but not quite industry quality.  You're on the right track.  The anatomy study, while useful, is not quite up to par.  I would remove it just so it doesn't stand out as a weak piece for now.  At least until you can either improve it or do a better one.  I would say env assets should be removed if you are applying for character art positions.  If you want to add a hard surface piece, make one that applies to character art...an armor or a weapon.  if you are applying for generalist positions, I suppose it's ok to have it but maybe you can silo them into folders and only link to what's relevant depending on who you are applying to.  My main crit on your characters are the anatomy def needs work.  Posing feels awkward as well.  Texturing is fairly lacking as they feel quite unfinished and unpolished.  You should absolutely make more personal art but maybe try working on something and taking it to a higher fidelity level: 

-really try to push your understanding of anatomy, get lots of feedback from someone who really understands anatomy.  this can be daunting so even starting a bit smaller and focusing on a bust might be helpful.
    -pick something that has multiple material types...skin, eyes, hair, metal, cloth.  this will make for a much more interesting character.
    -push your texturing to much higher fidelity.  this is a spot you really need to work on.  this all comes down to ref and feedback.  
    -work on materials in engine.  not sure which engine you are comfortable in but I would look into making your materials look better for skin, hair, eyes, etc.  it will go a long way in making your faces more appealing.
    -work on posing(possibly some light rigging) and rendering.  your posing is all very unnatural and hurts the final renders a bit.  
    -presentation could use some work too.  look around and see what works for other people and work on templates that really accentuate the art.  

hope that helps!

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Marmoset is fine for rendering ur work.  Unity and Unreal are nice bonuses as I figure most of the generalist jobs will be at indie devs who use one of these two.  Just be careful with tailoring ur folio as "generalist" this early in ur career.  It will spread your interests too thin and you won't be able to hit peak quality in any given focus.  Good luck!
  • LizNSkaya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh said:
    Marmoset is fine for rendering ur work.  Unity and Unreal are nice bonuses as I figure most of the generalist jobs will be at indie devs who use one of these two.  Just be careful with tailoring ur folio as "generalist" this early in ur career.  It will spread your interests too thin and you won't be able to hit peak quality in any given focus.  Good luck!
    This is a good point! I plan to put all my focus on characters more soon.  
    Thank you!
  • LizNSkaya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh said:
    Ok, I guess my final question is. Should I even apply to jobs while my work in this condition? 
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Sure!  why not.  Always worth a shot.  You might hit the style someone is looking for and get lucky.  Luck is a huge part of getting a job, trust me lol.  Never hurts to apply.  What is important is to understand that it's a saturated industry and it may take a while.  Apply while u continue to update your folio. 
  • LizNSkaya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh said:
    Sure!  why not.  Always worth a shot.  You might hit the style someone is looking for and get lucky.  Luck is a huge part of getting a job, trust me lol.  Never hurts to apply.  What is important is to understand that it's a saturated industry and it may take a while.  Apply while u continue to update your folio. 
    It definitely is, a lot of great artists! Great to hear, it was always my plan!
    Thank you!