Home Technical Talk

Bake Light into PBR texture (PBR asset creation, legacy game shader)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
X3KJ polycounter lvl 5
Hi, i am working on a mod for a game that uses old, non PBR shaders.
Preamble:
I'm making textures for my models in Substance Designer&Painter, using PBR workflow - simply becaue, i want to be future proof aka. i dont want redo everything in case i want to re-use them in a newer game engine. The main issue i have with this are shiny materials, especially metallics. Without PBR shader the metals look incredibly dull and flat - because the old shader relies primarily on diffuse texture information, the specular has only little effect.

Question:
My idea is to use the pbr texture and a pbr shader in a scene, and then bake down the lighting information received into the diffuse texture.
How can i do this? Does anyone know of a way to do it in Substance Painter/Designer? If not, what other options would i have? My dinosaur Max version doesn't have any PBR shader addons, so thats out of the race.

Not sure if an example is really needed, but here is a shitty quick one for a metal. First what i would get as diffuse in the legacy shader right now, Below what i would like to have as diffuse texture (maybe not as exaggerated, but in essence)

Replies