Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Retro / PS1 Style English Seaside Town

DaveW
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DaveW polycounter lvl 14
I've been working on this scene over the weekend and would love to get some general feedback / impressions of it.

Bit of background: this is a test scene for a survival horror game, inspired by Silent Hill, with retroish graphics. The direction, as I'd describe it, is to make it look like people remember PS1 games without actually emulating their technical constraints. The scene is set in an English seaside town which has a bit of Lovecraftian stuff going on.

Technicals: This is in UE4, using normal maps for most things and dynamic lighting. The sky / atmos is Ultra Dynamic Sky but everything else is original, most textures are photosourced from textures.com

And an overview of the map, the player moves right to left down the street and eventually to the end of the pier which has collapsed. Overall it's about ~5m including interactions which I'll be adding later:

Video walkthrough here - this was just for timing purposes, nothing actually happens

One area I know needs work is breaking up the larger surfaces; I've got a few main materials in the scene which have a large scale 'grunge' overlay which helps a bit, but it still looks quite bland.

Replies