Home Adobe Substance

Small and annoying normal map error

Wankenstien
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Wankenstien polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys, having some problems baking some props, a small normal error is present resulting in a hard triangle like shape appearing, bassially its very annoying and i cant figure out how to get rid of it and cannot move forward with it there, I believe my UVS and low poly model are fine and the high poly looks fine also so i am very confused pls halp!!

dont often ask for help and im really hoping u guys know wtf is going wrong here xx

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I would guess the triangle has flipped normals or a different smoothing group / hard edges / split edges / split uv edges / etc.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Export the low poly from painter and look at it.  

If its different from what you have in maya/whatever then you know you need to clean up your source data or fix export settings
  • Wankenstien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    from what i can see the smoothing group problem is not occurring, i shall experiment and get back to  u guys ty for the response
  • Wankenstien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so guys, after much fiddling i could not work out what the problem was........... however when looking at the model from a distance the errors were hardly visible if at all.

For this reason I have decided to keep them in the model as they will not show up much within the scene any way. this is an important lesson for any new artists, some mistakes are ok to make and the player/ viewer will honestly not notice them.