Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio critique - 3D character artist

Blackforks
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Blackforks polycounter lvl 2
Hi, I was hoping to get some feedback on my current portfolio/showreel. I've been looking for entry level 3D artist position since i graduated last year with no luck, so any feedback or ideas on how i could improve or better showcase my skillset would be very appreciated.

https://www.artstation.com/sam_herries

https://vimeo.com/321785503   

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, your stuff all has a certain style to it. It's cool work for sure. Have you thought of tailoring your next few projects to a specific studio's style?
  • ChristheLancer97
    Offline / Send Message
    ChristheLancer97 polycounter lvl 4
    These are really awesome, I agree! Pretty unique style you've got going there :D
  • Blackforks
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi thanks for the feedback, and yeah the main goal of pieces im currently working on is to show that i can adapt to other styles, but yeah its good to hear that's the right track to be on from others, thanks again  
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Your stuff is unique indeed.  one thing you absolutely need to fix is how you render our your separate texture passes on separate renders and the resolution is HUGE width-wise for absolutely no reason.  those images have like twice as much negative space to the actual character in the middle...its pretty awful.  the only reason I would think you would do that is laziness of not wanting to crop it down and combine some of the images for a nicer presentation.  whatever the reason, it doesn't look good.  This goes the same for your main renders...why so much negative space?  
  • Blackforks
    Offline / Send Message
    From my point of view i felt that i was either going to get negative space from the black bars either side of the image on artstation or from the render itself i may aswell leave the image at a full HD resolution, and yes laziness probably comes into to it in the way that i definetly want to focus on my modelling and texturing workflow so i try to minimize the time spent on rendering and post work, but im really splitting hairs at that point. Definetly some advice ill use when displaying my projects from now on thanks!    
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    You know you can set a width you like and just hit "max width" on artstation right?  Look at how I did this post: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Ya6lYP.  I no longer do the default setting on the image.  I just set all my images to the same width.  Just fill in the space properly.  And of course 80% of your time is on the modeling and texturing but if the rendering and presentation is lacking, imagine the message your sending.  Trust me, that part is just as important...don't get lazy at the end, follow through strong.
  • Blackforks
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah thank you again, having something to compare to is really usefull aswell. It's pretty embarrising to adimt that i had just been chucking stuff up on my page as more of an after thought and not really thinking about how the well the page comes across as a whole definetly a lot to be improved there.