Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio critique (3D character artist)

marvinator
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
marvinator polycounter lvl 3
Hi, I'm hoping to get your opinions on the current state of my portfolio. I'm aiming for a first gig as intern/junior 3D character artist for games. I have one more piece on the way before I apply, but I wanted to get a feel for how things are going. Perhaps I'm gravely mistaken and I should pursue theoretical physics. Let me know.

https://www.artstation.com/marvinator-90

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks wicked, keep going :)

I'd maybe take the french solder out of the portfolio as I don't think it's as well done as the other pieces. Take out the WIP of the mechanic as you've got a completed version, and cut down on the number of renders of the mechanic. Maybe have a landscape render or two with multiple angles of him?
  • vonboe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vonboe polycounter lvl 12
    Overall the work you have put into your portfolio is good, and the more you are able to showcase the better ( something I struggle with )

I personally think your best work is the Adam Graft character, it shows you are able to work with hair planes, organic, hard-surface modeling and texturing.

As for your models and some of the shortcomings, your mesh flow is quite messy and your texture work feels a bit too "artificial"

• marvinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. I will consider those points as I update the portfolio.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Overall good direction.  I don't have doubts you will get better at this.

Given that you're mostly hand sculpting wrinkles and folds, I'd look into learning how to sculpt and draw them properly.  There's a book called "Dynamic Folds and Wrinkles" or something to the effect.  You definitely have more room to grow stronger in understanding how they work.

Adam Graft seems strongest..

Hero mechanic seems weakest.

Would be interested personally in seeing more diversity in topiics and aesthetics of characters.

Keep pushing, make sure each piece you're learning SOMETHING new. 

In terms of job prospects, you're either in the pocket or close.  Depends on the needs of the employer.
  • marvinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments, very useful! I'm going to cast a wide net, not going to be picky with my first job, as long as it's within the continent of Europe.