Home Career & Education

New 3D environment student seeking industry advice

Hello, fellow creative minds. I am a student studying to do 3D environment design in videogames and fairly new here. Currently, I have 8 months left until I graduate and want to finally push for my student demo reel projects. I currently am working on three underground subway system concepts that will soon be complete. My goal is to finish this project in three months and hopefully, have 2-3 projects done before graduation that can be put on a demo reel for hiring. The target look is realistic with a little of post-apocalypse theme thrown in. I plan on using Maya, Substance Design, UE4 and maybe 3Ds max. Note that I have already been given a ton of advice so I am looking for more advanced or uncommon knowledge that gets passed around by developers or learned on the job. So here are the questions I have so far:

1. How big should my project be to show off what the industry really demands environment artists that are new? Some examples I found in term of size: 
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aooJ0 or https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zmWkQ
2. Is there a way to be diverse enough since everything has already been done in one way, shape or form?
3. How detailed should it be for the gaming industry or should it be as realistic as possible?
4. What are the biggest mistakes I could encounter while tackling this work? 
5. How many pieces of work are considered to be top-grade or can some people get in with just one?
6. What are some ways for my piece to stand out among applicants?
7. Lastly, is there any big advice not pertaining to the other questions that anyone can think of? Any advice will be helpful

Thank you for taking the time to read and feel free to contact me and have a great day. I will be posting this in multiple forms if the topic is relevant.

Replies

• Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    1. Small and well executed is much, much better than larger but weak. I've seen people hired based on an environment that's one corner of a bedroom.

2. I assure you, not everything had been done. In an environment art portfolio showing a subject matter we haven't seen many times before isn't necessary, but it's certainly a plus. You can just start layering story elements until you have something interesting. For example, "sci-fi corridor" is boring. Corridor of a space cruise ship is better. Space cruise ship that currently being re-purposed as a refugee ship after a catastrophe is almost certainly unique.

3. When in doubt, err on the side of as realistic as possible. Obviously don't have a ten million triangle pencil or something else totally crazy, but I see far more students get into trouble because of too little detail than too much.

4.A big one I see is bouncing between projects too often, and not making enough finished work.

5. One great piece is better than several mediocre pieces. I'd even rather say a portfolio that's just on great piece and nothing else than a portfolio that's one great piece and a couple so-so pieces. That being said, it is good to show some variety, and it's fine if some of your pieces are smaller, as long as the quality is there. You can use small dioramas or even props or material studies to round out your portfolio. 

6. First and foremost, just have good work. If the stuff could be dropped into a AAA game and wouldn't be out of place, you're already in the top five percent of candidates. If you can do that and also demonstrate a good artistic eye (lighting, composition, and so on) and tell an interesting story, you should be getting plenty of callbacks.

7. If you're not hearing back from studios, that's feedback that your portfolio isn't good enough. Don't fall into the trap of blaming external forces. Once your portfolio is good enough, you'll know.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    I would go for a flying island.
    Like the one from Naughty Dog.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZns0n4sQIg
    https://www.deviantart.com/vonkoz/art/Naughty-Dog-Art-Test-Part-2-197363373

Make sure you use a concept dont do a freestyle one.