Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Science Fiction Greenhouse Environment

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone!

I'm in a studio class right now for my last year at college, and we've been given the freedom to choose what we want to work on. I've decided to work on a science fiction environment to contrast my last project, which was totally urban. I wanted to give myself a challenge I could learn foliage with too, so I figured "hey, why not bash them together?" And out came this sci-fi greenhouse project.

I'm in the final stages of the graybox phase right now. I've got everything where I would like it to be, and detail modeling is the next big hurdle to get over. Sci-fi detail is much harder to nail down than I thought it was going to be, so this part could take longer than expected.

It's a multi-floor facility, and it goes 5 levels deep right now. I've also taken a shot at integrating some movement to make it feel more alive.

I'm also going to dedicate a reasonable portion of my time limit (Due October 1st) to learning and implementing trim sheets. This is my first attempt at creating one for the large details in the environment. My goal is to have a sheet for rubber, and then edging/floating details. Total, 3 Trim sheets.
I'll be making a uniform tiling texture to box map over these on a second UV channel as well.

Advice and critique are welcome as always :)

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Be aware that Unreal does not generate tangents for the second uv set of the mesh, and even "derive tangent basis" material node can produce some errors sometimes, so its the best idea to keep every normal maps on the first uv channel whenever its possible. Good luck anyways.
  • Zalek4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the advice Obscura! You definitely saved me a bunch of time troubleshooting.

In terms of the subject matter of this project, I decided I didn't like where it was going story-wise. The visuals were busy, and there wasn't really a purpose to the place. I still liked the idea of plants crossed with sci-fi though, so I did some thinking about where those two things would meet out of necessity. 

So I ended up on the idea of a satellite that is farming oxygen above Mars. I did some experimenting with the overall shape of the station, and ended up with a gyroscopic one. This would allow the station to spin in order to create artificial gravity, and also orient itself towards the sun to maximize sunlight. The plants being used to generate oxygen are algae, which are some of the most efficient plants that exist. The oxygen is stored in tanks and then shipped to the planet surface, while CO2 is shipped back.