Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Storage Unit Environment

jesscouch95
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
jesscouch95 polycounter lvl 4
Hey everyone, 

Been working on this environment for last few weeks, would appreciate any C&Cs anyone might have. 

Replies

• ChrisFraser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisFraser polycounter lvl 5
    Cool environment idea. Did something get into the kennel or come out of it? Right now it looks like something broke in, but I suspect you want it to look like something got out. If the bars were protruding out of the kennel, it would seem like something got out more than if they pull into it. Just my $0.02 
  • jesscouch95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ChrisFraser Thanks for the feedback, yeah I was going for something escaping so that's a good point it does look more like something got pulled in. 
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Are you using only static lights? I'm asking because your scene lacks reflections. Looks cool other than that.
  • jesscouch95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Obscura thanks, yeah I’m using static baked lighting. Definitely agree it’s lacking reflection. It might be that the roughness isn’t low enough on some of the metal so its lacking, or might need to tweak some of the light settings! 
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you use only static lights, reflections will be like this. Try changing the main light sources to be stationary instead. That should give you much better looking and more visible reflections.
  • jesscouch95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah okay great! Thanks for the tip I’ll try it out.
  • jesscouch95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the main light sources to stationary, definitely got some reflections going now, thanks again for the feedback!

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better. One more thing I forgot to mention about stationary lights. By default, they use distance field shadows. You can notice that by looking at the inside of the pet carrier box. The shadow of the grid has that weird beveled look. To fix that, select the light source, and search for "use area shadows for stationary light" and enable it. This will give you proper area shadows, but you will need to re-bake the lighting once more. Also, to further increase the quality of the reflections, select the post process volume, go to the screen space reflections settings, and set the max roughness to 1, and the quality to 100%. Using multiple reflection captures can also improve the quality of local reflections. 

I think I would expect the exterior spot lights too, to create some specular highlight. To get more of that, you can set those lights too, to be stationary, if you haven't done it already. If you did, then maybe lower the roughness of the door material. Currently it kinda reads the same as the concrete surfaces, when we would expect it to be some painted metal. Same for the toolbox.