Home Marmoset

Strange Artefact in Marmoset - Help Please

SayuriKanboku
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
SayuriKanboku polycounter lvl 4
For some strange reason, I'm getting this odd shading happening in marmoset on my model only when the normal map is applied. When I look at it in 3D Coat it looks fine, it only seems to be in Marmoset that it's happening.

That's the problem I'm facing but below is the area in the normal map and there aren't any problems on it like there is there.

I haven't done modeling/texturing in a long while, so I'm a bit lost. 
Any help would be amazing, thank you.

Edit: Figured it out, I checked "Object Space" in the Normals section

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks like a tangent space normal map, so turning on object space is probably not what you want - that should only be used if you've loaded an object space normal map.

The shading problems are like due to two things:

1. Triangulation mismatch. Be sure that you're triangulating your low poly mesh before you make, and that you're loading the same (triangulated) mesh in Toolbag. Note the X shaped pattern on the door, this is from a triangulation mismatch. When you're using quads, you're reliant on the 3D app to triangulate the quad as it sees fit, and this can vary from app to app.

2. Tangent basis mismatch. Depending on where you've baked your normal map, you may need to change the Tangent Space setting in the object properties in Toolbag.