Home Technical Talk

[Blender 2.8] Normal Map Baking

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
morepolys polycounter lvl 7
I've done many bakes before and my typical workflow is to add a hardedge on UV breaks at 90 degree areas.  I've done this a million times in Maya to Painter into Unity with no issues.

I am just wondering is this the same workflow when baking inside of Blender? Or am i just staring at this too long and missed something completely simple?

Here is the mesh with UV islands broken at 90 degree angles with padding and mark sharp on the UV boundaries 

Here is the baked version with the normal map applied (notice the seamage, I did a Pack UV of .05)

If I remove all sharps and set smooth and bake I get this, which looks great in Blender but looks like crap everywhere else

And lastly this is the same model in image 1 (hard edges applied to UV borders) baked inside of Painter looking good

Funny thing is if i take the Substance baked one and apply it in Blender it works perfectly.  I am sure this has been run into at some point by Blender users, Im still new to the software so perhaps I am missing something?

Replies