Home Unreal Engine

material elements how to assign them properly

juguefre
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
juguefre polycounter lvl 11
Hello.

I have a problem and at the beggining it looked like a simple thing but 2 days later I found no way to fix it.

I have several different characters all based on the same mesh with a few changes, one of said models works OK when imported into unreal engine, in the next image you can see element 0 is assigned to the head of the model, I isolated element 0 so it is easier to see it.

Then all other models have element 0 assigned to the body as shown in the second part of the same image.

I tried pretty much everything I know and I just can't make element 0 be assigned to the head of the other models no matter what I try, I even used the EXACT SAME materials from the working model in the other ones and something weird happens.

In the next image you can see in the purple square how the materials from the good file are listed in MAYA.

The long name FbxFBXASC032DefaultFBXASC032MaterialFBXASC0321  is connected to Orc_MaleSG1 (Orc_Male is just the name of the file) and the other material named BM_Human_Skin is connected to Orc_MaleSG.

when I assign those materials to the other models the materials itself change like this:

in the working model the material is

FbxFBXASC032DefaultFBXASC032MaterialFBXASC0321  -----  SG1  

After assign it to the other model and exporting it becomes

FbxFBXASC032DefaultFBXASC032MaterialFBXASC0321  -----  SG

and the reverse happen to the other material, it goes from 

BM_Human_Skin ---  SG

TO

BM_Human_Skin ---  SG1

no matter what I do I can't simply assign element 0 to the head of the other models nor element 1 to the body

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.