Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

MKS M37 - The Renowned Trench Gun

vzdragon
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
vzdragon polycounter lvl 6

Here's my current WIP of my game ready MKS M37. This is my final high poly. Currently i'm finishing up my unwrap to then throw it into Substance Painter! I can't wait to get to texturing. Final model will be rendered in Unreal. Currently rendered in my custom three point lighting scene in V-Ray
Would love to hear your thoughts on my high poly. Let me know if there is anything I could if added to pushed it to the next level 
EDIT: was able to finish texturing. Overall I had fun with this model. I found out the areas a need to improve on with my high to low work flow. I also know I need a lot more time in Painter. Would love to hear what people think could be done better. 

Replies

• vzdragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • jakemoyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakemoyo polycounter lvl 6
    Looking pretty good so far!

Couple of things that stand out

This part looks a little pillowy, most of the ref i see this is a pretty fine grained knob

i dont really understand why this is so uneven, in pretty much all the ref ive found this thing is pretty straight. 

youve kind of got some inconsistent bevel widths as well, some of these are so sharp theres not even any point in baking it down and the barrel is so soft its almost cartoonish. Not that thats bad necessarily but its just not consistent.

Same goes for your fine detail,

you randomly decided to add zbrush hammer detail and little weld marks in a few spots which suggest a more realistic attempt and yet the rest of your model looks very low poly and kind of "once overed" For instance your stock doesnt even look sub-d.

all things that could be fine in their own regard but dont make sense in the bigger picture. You can do a low poly shotgun or a 35k COD FPS gun but trying to do both simultaneously just looks goofy.

Anyways keep it up!

• vzdragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The barrel shield looks like that because one of my references showed it as a very thin sheet metal that was distorted like that. I half assed it and now it just looks very weird. I'll probably just straighten it out. 

Thanks for calling out my bevel inconsistencies. I'll definitely go back and fix those. The stock is smoothed, but as you said probably looks in smoothed because my bevels are extremely sharp. The hammer like pattern isn't something I did intentionally. I gave it basic materials I made in vray. Looks like I left the bump on a bit high for the chain. That won't be there in the end.

Thank you for this 
  • vzdragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakemoyo said:
    Looking pretty good so far!

Couple of things that stand out

This part looks a little pillowy, most of the ref i see this is a pretty fine grained knob

i dont really understand why this is so uneven, in pretty much all the ref ive found this thing is pretty straight. 

youve kind of got some inconsistent bevel widths as well, some of these are so sharp theres not even any point in baking it down and the barrel is so soft its almost cartoonish. Not that thats bad necessarily but its just not consistent.

Same goes for your fine detail,

you randomly decided to add zbrush hammer detail and little weld marks in a few spots which suggest a more realistic attempt and yet the rest of your model looks very low poly and kind of "once overed" For instance your stock doesnt even look sub-d.

all things that could be fine in their own regard but dont make sense in the bigger picture. You can do a low poly shotgun or a 35k COD FPS gun but trying to do both simultaneously just looks goofy.

Anyways keep it up!

Ignore this, I just forgot to quote you in my first reply. Idk how to delete replies (If I even can) lol thanks again
  • vzdragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went ahead and made the suggested tweaks from above. Here's my final game ready assets at just over 6k Tris.