Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Feedback

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
SwanRonson polycounter lvl 2
Aiming to get the best possible critque in regards to my portfolio. I want to be a 3D Artist for the game industry and have struggled to get to the interview stage. If you have the time, I would appreciate it! 

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I would say right off the bat, use artstation for your portfolio, i wrote a big article on it, but in general people hate wix sites and artstation is easier to see updates and save your work to collections. clicking on your link right now takes me to a blank homepage with no relevant info, and I have to click again to get to your portfolio, which isn't good. 

your work is cool, it's very clear you are into stylized art which is great, but I don't know what I would hire you for, character artist, prop artist? 

it looks like a student portfolio with a collection of different projects, kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. If you want to make characters, have a portfolio full of 5-10 different characters, or focus on doing props and assets (more and more those get outsourced these days so be weary of that)

when I arrive at an artist's portfolio it should bash me over the head with 2 things: A clear demonstration of that artists desired job, and a high level of quality in those areas of focus. 

at the moment I would say you need to add more work in your portfolio while removing some of the older work, your sorcerer is your strongest piece for sure. the other character is ok, but kind of bland and generic. 

Your hand painted style is getting there, but it needs a bit more refinement, look at some of the hand painted texture work from artists at riot or blizzard and compare it to your work, there is a bit more depth and punch to their work. Basically I think you just need a bit more practice and you will be in a good spot. 

hope this helps! keep going :)
  • SwanRonson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SwanRonson polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you so much for the feedback PixelMasher. So it seems like a good idea to forget about the website. And focus on my Artstation. Thank you! Your feedback has been a tremendous help!