Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Toronto Rocket Train: daytime scene

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Amasahir polycounter lvl 3
Hey everyone This is my first recreation/collage of a 3D interior environment of Toronto Transit Commission's Line 1 subway train. The mood and lighting are based off a reference photo and concept of that same reference. This is currently a work in progress as I'm tackling this project in a more studio production line. This scene is rendered in Unreal 4, I appreciate any feedback/critique as this is also my very first post!

Screenshots of cinematic cameras in UE4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Improved lighting, added new Props. Will soon commence texturing phase.
08/30/2019 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reference Photo and Concept for Mood and lighting:

Replies

• Amasahir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    09/16/2019 - progress

* Added new floor texture
    * Trim sheet for Floor materials
    * Decals (stickers and red tape)
    * Advertisement boards
    * New materials (walls and ceiling)
    * Tweaked Lighting (reduced interior lighting for sharper contrast) 
    * Low quality baked lighting

Cinematic shot

Cinematic shot

Cinematic shot

Cinematic shot

Advertisement board

Decal stickers

Red tape decal and metal plate (trim texture)

Progress is going smoothly, I will have much more completed by the end of this week. Feedback and critique are greatly appreciated! Please let me know what you think :)  
  • rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    The colours to me seem quite oversaturated, particularly when compared to your reference. The blue and orange in your seats are particularly overpowering, and it seems like we've lost the texture (in a more tactile sense) that was present on the seats in your last post, so they're reading more like plastic than fabric.

It might be worth posting some wireframes/single shots of your props if you want comments on those, too.
  • ► J0Y,귀엽다™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ► J0Y,귀엽다™ polycounter lvl 2
    rexo12 said:
    The colours to me seem quite oversaturated, particularly when compared to your reference. The blue and orange in your seats are particularly overpowering, and it seems like we've lost the texture (in a more tactile sense) that was present on the seats in your last post, so they're reading more like plastic than fabric.

It might be worth posting some wireframes/single shots of your props if you want comments on those, too.
    I agree with Rexo12 about the seats. The scene is very well layout and modeled. However, the color of the seats are just to "pop" for me. (my 2-cent opinion) 
  • Amasahir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    09/24/2019 -- UPDATE --

Progress thus far:

* Created two new TrimSheets for Board advertisements and Vents
    * New Cobalt and chrome Materials for poles and seat
    * Improved Seat material, velvet like texture applied (still working on a velvet like shader...)
    * Posters!! ( IMPORTANT: the poster I used for this update was made for fun and is not at all what I will be using for the final scene due to uncanny results I'm aware of using real photos in a 3D environment :))
     * Added Some stains, scratches and grunge on the metal of the seats

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also I will be posting model wireframes new week once I complete more models.

• Amasahir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 09/26/2019

*Handicap divider added
    *Added grunge on Vent

• Amasahir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added procedural trim textures for the platform underneath the doors.

• Amasahir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    11/25/2019

Hello everyone! It's been awhile since I posted any updates, The scene has undergone several transformations. I would like to know your feedback if you have any to share. I made some adjustments from the initial pitch (concept, tone) and decided to go for something different, while updating several models and textures.

Screenshots
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Amasahir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone I'm happy to finally announce the completion of the Toronto Transit Commissions (aka ttc). It took me awhile but It's finally completed, I'm excited to showcase it!

TTC Daytime scene

You can find more completed screenshots on my Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/9eqGDy

Thank you all for the fantastic feedback and support!
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Looks good, but the walls seem to clean, and the seats don't have wear/dirt where I'd expect to see them stained/worn. (headrest and main sitting area). Also I think you went too dark with corners...(those spots would actually be more clean). Looking back at your concept/mood/direction; the graffiti is much bigger and bold, the dirt collecting around chairs and the exit doors is more pronounced. The Starbucks coffee cup would rest that way on that surface. The upper signage feels way too clean/perfect (needs dirt/graffiti pass). For some reason the ceiling look really low. 
  • Amasahir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good, but the walls seem to clean, and the seats don't have wear/dirt where I'd expect to see them stained/worn. (headrest and main sitting area). Also I think you went too dark with corners...(those spots would actually be more clean). Looking back at your concept/mood/direction; the graffiti is much bigger and bold, the dirt collecting around chairs and the exit doors is more pronounced. The Starbucks coffee cup would rest that way on that surface. The upper signage feels way too clean/perfect (needs dirt/graffiti pass). For some reason the ceiling look really low. 
    Thank you very much for the feedback, the original concept has been largely altered to suit a different reference but something I discovered along the way was the train felt too empty without the clutter! 

What do you think about the mood and lighting?