Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Ckneeland3D

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
CKneeland3D polycounter lvl 4
This is where I post all my WIP. Please feel free to offer C&C if you feel inclined! Looking to level up my skills and really hone my craft in any way I can.

Replies

• CKneeland3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Little level I've been working on for a week or so now. It's only just grey boxed right now but I'll be taking this grey box and drawing over it in the coming weeks. Should be fun as I've never really done something like this before so really just learning at every step of the way!
  • CKneeland3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yikes been almost a year since posting on here. Trying to get back in the habit of posting my work here regularly! Here's a Viking War Axe I've been working on after work these past couple weeks. Right now it's just the blade and it still needs some work but so far really enjoying sculpting something other than people.
  • CKneeland3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, here's update number 2! Worked on adding the back blades on the axe head and it actually made me realize I approached the overall blade creation wrong. In comparison, the blade just looks messy now so going to go back to the blade at some point but want to put some effort into fleshing out more of the handle. So far this is feeling like a great exercise to get me back into sculpting!

• CKneeland3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated handle. Still wanna do some more alpha work potentially over did it with the noisiness of the wood.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, subscribed!
  • CKneeland3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I said in one of my above posts, I wanted to go back and really hone the blade of the axe to look much more chipped from stone. I feel like I have some of the basic forms down. Next I need to get some of the detail back and really take a finer pass over creating the etched areas. Getting there slowly but surely!

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would suggest dropping down a few subdivs, and nailing the forms there before doing any detail work.

This will force you to concentrate only on the larger shapes, rather than getting bogged down in noisy details. There's a strong temptation to get final juicy detail asap, resist!

Can you show your reference board? 
  • CKneeland3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Eric! Here's the reference I'm using for the piece! Also here's the updated shots (lower and higher poly). Took your advice and went way lower poly to try and get a lot more of the forms in the blade. Still feel like there's a decent amount of work there but feeling a lot better about the general look compared to the old version!

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! I think it would help to gather real-world ref of chipped and carved stone, wrought iron, worn wood, etc. since the concept skimps on material/reflectance details.
  • CKneeland3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a good idea! I understand now. Create more of a reference "board" with a bunch of reference not just the concept. Thanks for the feedback!