Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Trippin Jaguar - Character animations experiments

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
lukazguzman polycounter lvl 5
Hi, all!
I'm working on a music video for an artist called Trippin Jaguar. I have a few scene with characters walking to the camera and being scared then run away, or interact with you the camera somehow. But my animations skills are not that good, so I have used a lot of mixamo, and still no one is very happy with the result heheh... So im trying to create an artistic approach to their movement.

Here is an example with a 1min-made character with a tracer effect made with Tyflow. I wanted to make some parts go fast (like the walking in and out of the scene) and then the important parts (like getting scared, facing the camera or whatever) in slowmo.

https://youtu.be/v6HvfgvoiI4

Im not happy with it, the fast parts seem funny, like a 1920's low framerate movie. So this weekend I will work on another idea:

Going from slowmo pose to slowmo pose using only the faded tracers (also these tracers wont be having a fast walking animation, they will just fly transitioning from the previous to the next pose).

Replies

• lukazguzman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally made the time to experiment with this, and here is what I came up with:

https://youtu.be/o9bknu-ozHc

I really like the effect. So I will be making the other characters in the same animation way. What I like the most is that I dont have to care much about animation frame by frame, the character is basically just flying around make a pretty-to-look-at trail of colors.
  • lukazguzman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From the video I posted this might look just like an After Effects plugin effect. But since my camera is always moving forward on my animation, the trails based on a post-effect will end up having a constant zoom-in effect. So I experimented a bit with Tyflow for 3Dsmax, and made everything based in geometry:

And a little bit of motion blur, and it looks pretty artistic!

Here is the tyflow. It basically uses an actor, that spawns copies for the first 20 frames (every 2 frames), then it bakes a particleAge on each one, and I use that float to define the mapping along a color and an opacity gradient.

More to come soon!