Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Feedback

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
cakers polycounter lvl 6
Hey Polycount, I'm looking for some feedback on my portfolio. As you can see I enjoy modeling hard surface props and environments. Most things were modeled within the last year. If they were done earlier I cleaned up the models and textures to render again. I use Maya to model and UV, Substance Painter to texture and Marmoset to render, I might start using Unreal for my next environment. I also can find my way around Substance Designer for some textures. 

Over the last year I've had some interviews but no luck on landing a job. I'm about to start another environment and I'm looking for some feedback on what to improve on. Thank you for your time!

https://www.artstation.com/jakemairet

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    A lot of your stuff is really cool! After going through your portfolio, you have a lot of grey, and it gets a bit tiresome. Your environments could use contrast as well, as everything sort of molds together and nothing catches the eye, even though a lot of stuff is done well. You also have way too many images per project. Cut the number of images down, and you'll be able to hold the attention of a recruiter for longer. Your hard surface items stand out above your environments, but keep going at those environments! Maybe try something more colourful, or with nature or something.
  • cakers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cakers polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you very much for the feedback!
  • conflig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conflig polycounter lvl 5
    Hi. I would say you need to focus more on the lighting of your scenes. In case you want to do environments. Just for example on your last scene, it is lacking any bounced light. Compare it with this scene https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WLNZy  and look at how the light gets scattered all around the scene. You have a really nice base and clearly you are strong at modeling so mix it with good lighting and you would hit whole new level :)

And your modeling is super clean! great job