Home Technical Talk

[Blender] QuickDraw - a tool to convert grease pencil sketches into geometry

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
aleksandr.kili polycounter lvl 4
I've been developing this tool with concept artists like myself in mind, and I wanted to share it with you guys in case you might also find it useful. As I mentioned, you can basically just draw a shape with GP and one click your way into having some geometry + perform booleans and a variety of other things.

You can see a rundown of all the features in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw-HY3FArmA

or read the features and watch GIFs over here:

http://www.alksndr.com/quickdraw

and the link to buy it is here: https://gumroad.com/l/zviHd

Please let me know what you guys think, and I am very open to suggestions for V3 :) 

Replies

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Aleks, this is actually pretty darn amazing! It looks incredible! I'm not much into concept-focused modelling these days, but I can see a use for this in my work anyway. The ease of creating geo like that, for example those tubes, looks so natural. 

With so many options in some of the functions shown in the YT video, I would expect the ability to set some profiles would be nice, like some HardOps functions do. By the way, I assume those functions's keyboard shortcuts are modifiable, yes?
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Interesting ideas! good luck with your Gumroad.
  • aleksandr.kili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! 

I will definitely look into making some presets and generally just reducing the amount of sliders for V3. The shortcuts can all be changed to suit your setup very easily :) 
  • aleksandr.kili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've released a new update for this plugin, its really a major improvement and I'm super happy with it. I hope you guys like it! Here's a video walkthrough and some renders of the model I made at the end of the demonstration. Instead of sliders there's now a HUD with some very simple functions like hold E and move the mouse to extrude, making it very very fast to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql79_feWl48 

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    This looks so exciting Aleks! I'm thinking I might bump experimenting with this addon a little higher in my Home-Projects-To-Do list given how this is coming along. I assume you have plans and ideas already for the next step in this addon's development? Could you share the basics of them, so that we know what to expect? 
  • aleksandr.kili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo said:
    This looks so exciting Aleks! I'm thinking I might bump experimenting with this addon a little higher in my Home-Projects-To-Do list given how this is coming along. I assume you have plans and ideas already for the next step in this addon's development? Could you share the basics of them, so that we know what to expect? 
    Thanks for the interest man! The next step for this addon is to get it working in VR, which is kind of not up to me for now as I'm not sure when Blender will release their official implementation.. But i know its not too far away. Since oculus controllers have a lot less buttons than a keyboard, and I want to make the plugin be comfortable to use in both ways, the next few weeks are all about optimizing the workflow.

So in the next version I expect to have something like draw shape -> press button -> geo is immediately created, and then if the user decides they can press a hotkey to go and have access to all of the settings in some kind of pop up panel to merge/smooth/bevel etc. I have an InfiniteSurface feature to serve as a drawing plane but its not ideal, It's probably the most important lacking feature right now... Just haven't figured out what exactly it needs to do yet, but I'll get there.

I already added a shortcut for voxel remeshing so the  major 3D coat features are pretty much complete.