Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for feedback on my Portfolio

lluc21
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
Hi, lately I've been trying to improve my portfolio pieces, fixing mistakes, making decent-ish renders of the projects and removing low quality projects. My goal is to be able to have a portfolio that could lead me to a job as a prop or vehicle artist (which I think share a similar workflow, please correct me if I'm mistaken). I'd love to hear any kind of feedback on the portfolio. Whether it is the pieces itself, something that I should remove, something that I should add or anything in regards to presentation.

https://www.artstation.com/lucassoler

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph_Bramlett polycounter lvl 4
    You have a lot of promise. I think your wheeled vehicles are pretty strong with the Leyland Torpedo standing out more to me. The Honda feels like the materials or perhaps teh lighting arent quite there. Ide compare it to renders from a game like Forza and see if you can get yours to match that almost photo real look. Once thats done put more renders in your pieces. When looking through portfolios I dont, and many recruiters, wont look at videos unless they have a real reason to. Show off some of that interior you made in renders and just give us more as images because thats much easier and more accessible to look at quickly than a video. 

Showing off your topology is great and overall that looks fine for production use. Ide say show off your texture sheets more consistently as well(your knife has a nice breakdown of that). 

The Bi-copter im kind of 50/50 on. The body seems really boxy and it kind of stands out compared to how detailed every other part of the model is. Because of that it feels like a lower quality asset compared to the rest of your portfolio.

The Fallout rifle seems to be modeled fine but the textures to me read very procedural. All the grunge maps and debris on it fill kind of like filters in substance painter and dont take into consideration actual wear and tear. This one also has some uninteresting renders where in you could improve the way you showed this gun off more if you where to present it more like your knife. 

The only other thing is the background for your vehicles. The photo look to me makes it feel kind of photobashy and distracts from the quality of your model. I like for the torpedo that you have a ground plane of bricks. Ide recommend instead of a crystal clear background image do a blurred out HDRI background. 

Ide also just look up other artist portfolios who do work similar to yours and see how they present their work. 

Overall I think your work is pretty good you just need to tweak a few things and probably re do some renders. 

• lluc21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
    You have a lot of promise. I think your wheeled vehicles are pretty strong with the Leyland Torpedo standing out more to me. The Honda feels like the materials or perhaps teh lighting arent quite there. Ide compare it to renders from a game like Forza and see if you can get yours to match that almost photo real look. Once thats done put more renders in your pieces. When looking through portfolios I dont, and many recruiters, wont look at videos unless they have a real reason to. Show off some of that interior you made in renders and just give us more as images because thats much easier and more accessible to look at quickly than a video. 

Showing off your topology is great and overall that looks fine for production use. Ide say show off your texture sheets more consistently as well(your knife has a nice breakdown of that). 

The Bi-copter im kind of 50/50 on. The body seems really boxy and it kind of stands out compared to how detailed every other part of the model is. Because of that it feels like a lower quality asset compared to the rest of your portfolio.

The Fallout rifle seems to be modeled fine but the textures to me read very procedural. All the grunge maps and debris on it fill kind of like filters in substance painter and dont take into consideration actual wear and tear. This one also has some uninteresting renders where in you could improve the way you showed this gun off more if you where to present it more like your knife. 

The only other thing is the background for your vehicles. The photo look to me makes it feel kind of photobashy and distracts from the quality of your model. I like for the torpedo that you have a ground plane of bricks. Ide recommend instead of a crystal clear background image do a blurred out HDRI background. 

Ide also just look up other artist portfolios who do work similar to yours and see how they present their work. 

Overall I think your work is pretty good you just need to tweak a few things and probably re do some renders. 

Woah. Thank you SO MUCH for your comment. I will definitely keep this message as a go-to for the following weeks.
    For now I will remove the Bi-copter and the Fallout rifle until I redo them, at least the Fallout rifle as I think it will be interesting to see my progress in the last couple of years. 
    I will definitely look into the quality of my renders and presentation.

I will be posting the updates on my portfolio on this thread to try and come closer to the Industry quality.
  • TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    Work some more on your cover image and the thumbnails of each piece. If you want to land a job, you gotta make your ArtStation page as attention-grabbing as possible. Employers who look at portfolios often scan through dozens of profiles and have only 3-5 seconds to decide whether they should put someone in their "good enough" list for further deliberation.
  • lluc21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
    Work some more on your cover image and the thumbnails of each piece. If you want to land a job, you gotta make your ArtStation page as attention-grabbing as possible. Employers who look at portfolios often scan through dozens of profiles and have only 3-5 seconds to decide whether they should put someone in their "good enough" list for further deliberation.
    Thanks. I will do that for sure. Do you think I should add more pieces or are 3-4 good pieces enough to grab someone's attention?