Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Samus - Metroid - Looking for Critique

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Joseph_Bramlett polycounter lvl 4
Hey Polycount,

Im trying to go through my portfolio and clean up some of my more recent pieces to give them that extra polish they need. I also reached out to a few different sources including you guys to get some feedback on my portfolio. One of the things that seemed to be a consistent problem across the board was my Samus piece. (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qAEn2e)

Having taken some time away from it now and looking back at it i can definitely find issues with it. I wanted a more human looking Samus as compared to the anime look she normally gets and I wanted her armor to be proportional and hearken to the dark scifi roots of the series. So I went for a look more akin to Alien or Dead Space hence the battle damage and grime.

So if you could look at what ive posted below and tell me what problems you see. 

Here's the original -

Heres the current stuff.

I also did some texture variants if you see a version that you think is better. 

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    The demo pose at the top shows the figure to be quite ordinary looking. The face and hair renders look fairly dry/flat  and the face doesnt really reflect a sexy adolescent style hero type. The clothing looks like you went overboard with the grunge brush. Im not familiar with the character but a google search shows artistic interpretations look pretty metallic. Compared to single figure presentations here this one s pretty low poly and texture areas show that on your artstation page.

Just my opinion.
    I'd go back to the blank figure and research attractive expressive examples here and on other sites and try and nail the character traits that define the figure.
    Redo the costume and up the rez, there are a lot of examples here in this forum section to use as reference.
    Redo the textures and be careful where you place damage and dirt. The google search doesnt show her to look that grimey.
    Get the figure into a HDI environment to max the material expression.

Hope that helps.