Home General Discussion

Windows 10 Video Playback Very Dark

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
Anyone come across this issue? Tried several players and checked monitor/gpu/windows settings & drivers but all videos playback dark. Below is comparison between editing software screengrab and a PrtScn from the video player. Video file is raw so no compression. AND if I use VLC's screenshot tool the resulting image is NOT dark like it is in the video player. Feels like there's some 'video enhancement' setting turned on somewhere but I can't find anything...

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What gpu are you using? Looks like a gamma setting to.me. Check in the gpu driver settings for video brightness controls. You could also override render settings in some players, like VLC. 
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Make sure your graphic card drivers video options to set as default and not to set override graphic card options for the video play settings. Looks like some gamma setting or wrong conversion of limited rgb to full rgb vice versa.
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    GPU is RTX2080, I've combed through the settings and tried everything I can find. Set all to default, no change. If I have to I guess I can offset it in the video player settings, as much as that annoys me...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Could very well be related to the "Video > Adjust video color settings > 2. How do you make color adjustments ?" options in the Nvidia control panel.

A video player showing videos darker than they should be also sounds a lot like a brute force fix for the issue of h264 content being displayed with the wrong gamma value in some cases, so there's that too.

• yee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yee

I too, had this problem, after much tinkering and thinking, I found out that the root for my problem was the graphic driver (AMD Radeon onboard graphic), after uninstalling the AMD Radeon software using AMD DDU utility, the problem is gone, and doesn't show up anymore.

• Aaronn78
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi said:
    Make sure your graphic card drivers video options to set as default and not to set override graphic card options for the video play settings. Looks like some gamma setting or wrong conversion of limited rgb to full rgb vice versa.
    It's essential to ensure that your graphic card drivers are configured to use default video options rather than overriding the graphic card settings for video playback. The issues you're experiencing, such as gamma settings or incorrect conversion between limited RGB and full RGB, could be attributed to this configuration.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Original post is from 2019, guess this is turning up in web searches. Anyhow, people who have single replies on account, in old threads, are generally suspect as spammers. Looks OK for now.