Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Julia

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
SeekeroflLight polycounter lvl 4
Hey Polycount!
I am using this to keep track of my progress as a 3d artist.

Feedback is ok.

Project Stump

Just smushing some shapes together and getting the overall shape.

Refining the shape before sending to Zbrush.

Lowpoly and High. (Note to self: Lowploy is challenging and reading about Topology till your eyes bleed can go so far get practicing!)

Substance Painter used for Normal, AO, WIP of hand-painting in PhotoShop

Checking out it looks in Unreal, mainly for the highlights and experimenting.

Replies

• SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Too long of a hiatus and glad to get back to what I was working on, I need the art in my life. Only been able to work on materials and placement got to do other stuffs that need to be done now that I have some time.

Here is what I had done before the blur. That had me thinking about it for the past ..... really 3 months geez.

Here is what I was able to squeeze out today. They are in order of process. 

• SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumpster and friends 

• SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Student work that I have done over the last 8 weeks.  Most of the tiling textures are from photos from textures.com. One is my first go around in Substance Designer with some kind of bark texture for the bush, and the other is a photo I took of the grass in the front yard.  The other textures are done in combination with Substance Painter and Photoshop.  I'm not going to dump the whole lot with video, as I think it would be too much.

• SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a sword that I made.  I'm asking for honest commentary about this piece. 

I used Maya to model the high and low poly, baked in Substance Painter,  textured in Photoshop and SP, rendered in Unreal.

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Primarily I would make the wood less rough to match the reference
  • SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rollin Thanks, I was going for the clear coat in Unreal, but it just didn't look the way I wanted it to.  I will try your suggestion and take out the roughness to see how it looks. Thanks again!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    In fact to be precise: in your case it's probably only the low frequency bumpyness of the normal map and not the high frequency of the roughness channel. So if you just get rid of the wood-structure in your normal map this could already look out. 
    Also you might want to tone down the color of the wood. Giving it overall less contrast and a more saturated and darker color.
    Then on top you can use a clear-coat shader / material
  • SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rollin I tried using a flat normal for the clear coat on the hilt to get rid of that bumpiness.  I am using bottom normals with the grain of the wood texture.  I still think I need to tweak the contrast between the 2-tone grain.  What do you think?  In any case, I appreciate your feedback.

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Bit difficult to see from the still. 
    But the size of the specular reflection should kind of match the one from the sphere. Maybe your smoothness is just too high.

And as you said: The wood texture could still use bit less contrast and bit more saturation making it more orange
  • SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions, I think it turned out pretty well compared to what I first posted.  I Still need to tweak the bottom normals, but the roughness of the topcoat is closer to the reference image.

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    This is way better, well done!
  • SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey all!

I'm creating a dungeon hallway environment (an itch I've been needing to scratch for a while).  The first picture is a collage of reference images that I've been working from.  Next is a simple block-out (rough) of the hallway. The last picture is one of the columns that the arches will rest upon.  I made the base mesh in Maya, sculpted damage in ZBrush, and had fun making the alpha-brush in Photoshop for ZBrush to create the relief.

I still feel as though I'm missing some details, but I haven't put my finger on it yet.  It still feels a little plain. If you have any insight, please let me know.
  • SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hit a creative wall with the column in the dungeon environment (it just wasn't vibing), so I decided to come back to it later and work on other projects in the meantime to preserve my productivity. Anywho, I decided to model out my skateboard, and that's what I'm posting today. I am still working on textures, but I wanted to post this before I added wear and tear. Note: the design on the bottom is different than the one on my skateboard; I didn't want to steal the original artist's work.

• SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finishing this little guy up.  

• SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just felt like doing some LODs. 

• SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to give CGMA a try to understand topology better, being one of my weak spots, and I believe I got more out of it than what I have gotten out of uni.  😒  I took the Intro to Production Modeling with Hunton Hodgkins, in which he did an excellent job teaching the fundamentals for subd and being available for questions and guidance. Having to use concept art, I picked Evil Trees and Tombstone Crows from Sephiroth Art.   I wouldn't say I'm amazeballs or anything still practicing.

• SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking another stab at a CGMA course, this time with Michael Pavlovich for Zbrush, a great class, would have taken me forever of trial and error to figure out that program. It is kind of like a Zbrush Bootcamp with tons of information.  I can definitely tell of improvements with using Zbrush, so it is a good day.

• SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message