Home Technical Talk

Need advice for a hairstyle/Xgen

triangle
Offline / Send Message
elcucuy triangle
So this is the first more sophisticated hairstyle I try.  The only way I could come up with (especially for the braids) is sculpt the haircut in Zbrush and then use painteffects and edge selection to create curves in maya, to then use them as xgen guides. As you can see on the pictures it is not very successful. If someone has advice on Xgen or got a completely different approach on how to get that haircut I'd appreciate it a lot! I have Zbrush and Maya to work with.

Expectation:

Reality: The hairstrand from different directions are all over the place

The braids arent working great either :(
I have the guides set as clump guides and my cv count is 100.. no idea what the problem is. Is the space too tight? I have my head scaled at 20 cm but these braids are kind of small so idk..

Replies

• Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    Where is all the curliness coming from? First get everything to be nice and straight. In the clumping modifier you can setup a density control. Scale it super low, you will see little tangents spawning on the surface that control the amount of clumps. You can also force it to do 1 clump per spline. I believe this is setup in the "Setup Maps" tab.