Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Warehouse Environment Critique

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
DinkleDonker polycounter lvl 4
Hey! It's a been a very long time since I've posted on this site, as a self taught artist, I've had to do a ton of studying and practicing over the past few years to finally be able to produce an environment. I've wanted to start building a solid portfolio over the next year or so as to get a get into the industry obviously. I'm mainly focusing on modeling at an entry level, but texturing has grown on me as well. This is my first real environment I've created with some modular pieces as well as quite a few scatter props. I learned a lot of new techniques such as splines, blueprints, creating procedural textures with Designer, and just using UE4 as a whole to build environments. I can tell I severely lack skill in terms of lighting a scene properly. There are a few things I'm able to point out within this environment that could be improved upon, but I've been working on it for some time now and I would like to move onto my next project as I feel my scope is becoming stale just working on this piece. I would like to spend a week or so more trying to make improvements and finalize this piece, so I'm asking for the harshest criticism you guys have to offer, as well as any resources you guys may be able to give me to improve my shortcomings.  :) P.S. The material renderings are awful, I know. I didn't know how to properly render in Designer at the time.

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    It's actually pretty nice work for someone who is self taught. It is kind of an achievement to get this far on your own, and the lighting is actually not bad. The only thing that is jumping out to me is that the scene is a little plain. It needs some more life to it. Right now your warehouse is very clean, neat, and empty. Not the kinds of adjectives that normally describe warehouses. At least not interesting ones. If you decide to keep working on this, try doing some vertex painting and/or decals. (for which there are tons of Youtube tutorials on). I also feel like the lighting could use more light bounces or have the indirect lighting intensity turned up, or softer shadows, or something. The lighting is missing something but I can't put my finger on what. One last thing, your substance material renders are out of focus. You need to turn down the blur on those, they make me want to update the prescription on my glasses. (Ok, I guess that was three things)

You are doing great so far, keep up practicing you'll get there. I know the feeling of trying to do a full environment as a personal project and the scope of it getting away from me, taking way more time than I wanted it to. Try making a couple of dioramas. They can be a quick and fun way to experiment and learn while still looking good for the portfolio. Also try making some small minimalist scenes that bake really quick to practice lighting. But of course make more full size environments as well.  =)

As far as resources, these are some of my favorites: 

Substance Academy:
    https://academy.substance3d.com/search?software=substance%20designer
    There is a 2 hour tutorial on a brick wall in the advanced section I found very helpful when I was starting out with designer.

Lighting Masterclass Unreal Dev Day 2017
    https://www.tomlooman.com/lighting-with-unreal-engine-jerome/
    I keep coming back to this because the more I work with Unreal's lighting system the more I come to understand everything he is trying to say.

80 Level 
    https://80.lv/articles/environment-art/
    Has lots of interesting tutorials and articles. Too many perhaps.
  • DinkleDonker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DinkleDonker polycounter lvl 4
    @JamesBrisnehan Thanks a ton for your input! It's been a tough road so far teaching myself, but it's good to hear that my work has gotten me to a decent level. I do agree that it's sparse. I did add some grime decals to the walls, but it's pretty minor. I did plan to add some stuff to the ground like some roughness decals for moisture, tire marks, etc. Lighting is by far my weakest point right now, so I really appreciate that link. I'll chip away at this when I have some time off and hopefully get a finished a project. Then on to some dioramas for practice and so on. Thanks again!