Home Technical Talk

[SOLVED] Help with model, strange lighting on hair.

node
Offline / Send Message
Seth389 node

Now I have this visual issue regarding hair on my character model.

*edited*

I am using default lighting and the hair is basically planes with diffuse maps and opacity maps.
The issue is the weird contour lighting that shows up mostly when viewing the hair from far.
When zooming in , it seems to disappear?

So that has me a bit stumped, I made pretty sure the UV maps were filled in correctly to not have weird lines on the outside.

Anyone know what causes this or experience something similar?
You can reach me at pete.lazarov@gmail.com
Much thanks.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to Polycount!

Best way to get responses is to embed your work here on Polycount. Don't make us click a dodgy link to see your stuff, that stops lots of people right away, it's a gate. We're on a site where art is embedded all the time. It's the expectation. We've clicked on your thread, expecting to see your artwork, but now we have to click another link.

Secondly, don't ask us to email replies. That's lazy as fuck, annoying as hell, and it's just another gate preventing you from getting answers. This is a forum, where we share solutions and critiques, learning from each other. Walling it off in private is antithetical.

Thankfully, your profile has a Notifications section, where you can set it to email you automatically whenever someone replies. It's a no-brainer!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. 
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Seeing the texture would help but most likely mipmapping issue.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Edge_padding
    With distance, the texture gets its resolution lowered to prevent ugly pixel flickering, making this error more visible. So you should make the dark color "bleed" farther.
  • Seth389
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seth389 node
    oh Wow D:
    Faster replies than CGsociety, definitely a plus!
    Sorry bout being shorthanded, I haven't been on a forum in ages.
    ehhh embedding huh.... I'll pretend I know what that entails : (   

So uhh for the textures I have separate strands(or bangs if you want) of hair

And they're all done pretty much the same way:

Also attached the ps file.
    (sorry if I did anything wrong).

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Yes, its about mip maps and the color map not having dilation. Looks like the color map has white background, which isn't visible on your images cause they are png so the transparency is applied on the preview. An easy way to fix the issue is to open up all color maps in ps, make a new layer, put it under the original layer which contains the texture, fill it black, and collapse them. This way you will still have bleeding, but it won't create the white outline because the neightbour pixels are black instead. Also make sure to check out the wiki link posted by Noors. It explains this whole thing in more details.
  • Seth389
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seth389 node
    wow D: you guys are fast.

I will get on that right away !
    I could cry lol
  • Seth389
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seth389 node
    FIXED!
    Thanks alot. I actually learned this stuff before but its so mundane it went right over.

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter