Home Career & Education

Should a character Artist specialize?

triangle
Offline / Send Message
elcucuy triangle
Hi,
I am trying to become a character artist and I am wondering if I should focus on a specific type of character or theme. I feel like there is so much..  Sci-fi/hardsurface type characters, Creatures, Realistic Human, Animal with accurate Anatomy, all the stylized stuff etc. I feel like trying to become good at all would be very hard and take a long time. I also read that people create a portfolio based on what company they try to apply for, but for a beginner I dont feel like I can be picky so I dont want my chances too slim by having a really narrow portfolio. Does the theme really matter as long as I show skills that are expected of an character artist? Any tips on how to decide where to focus would be great!

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    In the end you need to be able to go in any art diretion. But if you have a main studio you would like to work. I would  do at least one Char that matches there art style. Just start one Char and look how long you need to finish him. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Think about the kind of game you'd be okay with putting 60 hours a week in for potentially, and work towards the immediate future of getting a portfolio that is artistic direction friendly towards such styles.  This is especially if you're trying to break in.

Breadth will come with time, or other factors.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    what do you actually enjoy making, and where do you want to work? use that to guide your output.
  • elcucuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elcucuy triangle
    what do you actually enjoy making, and where do you want to work? use that to guide your output.

I actually just try to get started anywhere. I am afraid that just doing what I enjoy is not necessarily what helps me find a job. The most fun I had replicating classical sculptures or paintings but I dont know if that kind of work is really needed.
  • elcucuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elcucuy triangle
    Think about the kind of game you'd be okay with putting 60 hours a week in for potentially, and work towards the immediate future of getting a portfolio that is artistic direction friendly towards such styles.  This is especially if you're trying to break in.

Breadth will come with time, or other factors.
    The problem is I dont have a specific goal as which company, because I dont feel like I can afford to be picky yet. I just want to get started really. Maybe I should just pick any style that I like and see where it takes me? I am afraid I will limit my possibilites if I chose a style or theme that is not frequently needed.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    If you have no goal you just drifting around.
    Pick one an go. Finish it and start with a new one in a diffrent style.
    Dont wast your time with waiting.
  • elcucuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elcucuy triangle
    oglu said:
    If you have no goal you just drifting around.
    Pick one an go. Finish it and start with a new one in a diffrent style.
    Dont wast your time with waiting.
    Im not waiting at all, I am working on something all the time. I just try to make good decisions and as someone being new to this I am not sure if I should try out as much as possible or stick to something early on. You know what I mean?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    You don't have to force stuff. Have fun for awhile, do some projects, and as long as you are paying attention you will start to notice where your calling really is. Then you will know enough to have some idea how to focus your efforts smartly.

If you are in a big rush to get a job, you're probably in the wrong field. It's very competitive. This is why I recommend to beginners, learn to enjoy the craft. It should be like therapy for you, not stress. With time you gonna get good, and when you are very good and people see that, then you have the leverage to ensure you aren't gonna be exploited by an unethical employer.
  • elcucuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elcucuy triangle
    You don't have to force stuff. Have fun for awhile, do some projects, and as long as you are paying attention you will start to notice where your calling really is. Then you will know enough to have some idea how to focus your efforts smartly.

If you are in a big rush to get a job, you're probably in the wrong field. It's very competitive. This is why I recommend to beginners, learn to enjoy the craft. It should be like therapy for you, not stress. With time you gonna get good, and when you are very good and people see that, then you have the leverage to ensure you aren't gonna be exploited by an unethical employer.

I know it's very competitive, which is part of what makes me anxious.. I am really just trying to figure out how to set up some sort of plan, so I dont feel so overwhelmed. I am in no rush to get an job luckily and Id enjoy creating characters even if I never were to find an internship/ job in this industry but it would be great if I were able to rather sooner then later.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    The simple truth is that by stretching thin you probably won't get a job, at least not in AA or AAA. With smaller studios it depends on who you are dealing with, but there are also small studios with enough money to go for veterans.

The best chance for success seems to be pick you dream job at your dream studio for the dream project. Work on your porftolio to create stuff that holds up to that level - not from a student perspective but really having also pros saying its nearly there. Do one character on that level and then branch out to cover more ground - not necessarly switching styles, just making sure every other project you do has something new to cover in your portfolio. I've put down an example how I approached it -> https://www.artstation.com/biomag/blog/KV2N/cyberpunk-character-work-in-progress-part-i  - it works, but it simply takes time. You most valuable skill is an eye for quality - and that gets trained no matter what you pick up as project. The rest is just answering as many questions for potential employers as possible with your portfolio.

And yes, it really takes several years to get there, not just skillwise but also having a bit of luck.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Similarly as above, all I can suggest is too open a work in progress on what you're actually doing or for that matter envision doing, either here or elsewhere, then perhaps a sense of direction you lack may filter down via critique and perhaps also provide an initial foundation upon which to further explore other potential options currently available.   
  • elcucuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elcucuy triangle
    Biomag said:
    The simple truth is that by stretching thin you probably won't get a job, at least not in AA or AAA. With smaller studios it depends on who you are dealing with, but there are also small studios with enough money to go for veterans.

The best chance for success seems to be pick you dream job at your dream studio for the dream project. Work on your porftolio to create stuff that holds up to that level - not from a student perspective but really having also pros saying its nearly there. Do one character on that level and then branch out to cover more ground - not necessarly switching styles, just making sure every other project you do has something new to cover in your portfolio. I've put down an example how I approached it -> https://www.artstation.com/biomag/blog/KV2N/cyberpunk-character-work-in-progress-part-i  - it works, but it simply takes time. You most valuable skill is an eye for quality - and that gets trained no matter what you pick up as project. The rest is just answering as many questions for potential employers as possible with your portfolio.

And yes, it really takes several years to get there, not just skillwise but also having a bit of luck.

That seems like a very good approach. Thanks for the input!
  • elcucuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elcucuy triangle
    sacboi said:
    Similarly as above, all I can suggest is too open a work in progress on what you're actually doing or for that matter envision doing, either here or elsewhere, then perhaps a sense of direction you lack may filter down via critique and perhaps also provide an initial foundation upon which to further explore other potential options currently available.   

I am looking forward to post here soon, although I hope that wont make me explore other options lol