Home Technical Talk

3Ds Max Vray fly-through render workflow questions

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
rightBrainer polycounter lvl 4
Hiya guys,

I've been trying to get my workflow for fly-through rendering animation down in 3ds Max and have been experimenting a lot (wasting a ton of time, mainly, but it's for a good cause ... right?!) and watching a bunch of Youtube videos. And while there are some good ones out there, they really clarify the process the way I need so I'm hoping I could find some help here. For this example it would be a scene with NO moving objects other than the camera.

So from what I understand this should be the process, using Irradiance Map and Light Cache: (ignoring quality etc for now)

- Set 'Don't render final image'
- Set Irradiance Map - Mode to 'Single'
- Set Light Cache - Mode to 'Fly-through'
- Enable 'Use camera path' in both
- Render out a SINGLE frame of the animation to generate an Irradiance map and a Light cache

Once that's done:

- Leaving all quality options the same (?)
- Disable 'don't render final image'
- Set Irradiance Map - Mode to 'From file' and select the rendered vrmap file (this should be enough for the entire animation, right? As long as there's no object movement)
- Set Light Cache - Mode to 'Single' ? (this one doesn't make much sense to me since it then doens't use the rendered vrlmap file, and from what I understand about Light Cache a seperate one is needed for every frame? Could be wrong)
- Render out all the final frames and render elements

I'd REALLY appreciate it if someone could clear this up for me. Been trying to wrap my head around the correct workflow for a week, and since I have a pretty heavy animation to render out I'd probably save days doing it the right way.

*EDIT* Oh and for an animation WITH moving objects it's the same process but then with Irradiance Map - Mode set to 'animation (prepass)' and then afterwards to 'animation (rendering)' for the final render, right? But the Light Cache process is the same as above?

Replies