Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Handpainted Wisteria Environment

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Lurcisia greentooth
Hey polycount! Havent posted in a while.

this project was done in a couple weeks after work in my free time. 
Programs used: Maya, substance, Photoshop, zBrush, and put all together in unreal engine 4

let know what you think!

find more screenshots and textures here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/w84lPV

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    There's a lot I think should be changed in this scene. First, if the pink leaves are walling into the water some of them should also be on the rock. The tree itself doesn't look properly rooted into the rock face, like it's just sitting on top instead of dug in. The grass (?) coming off the top of the rock walls don't look right at all and should just be removed, possibly replaced by vines or some referenced real-world planet that would hang from such places. The grass at the base of the rocks also draws attention to the fact that there's no moss or wear at the water level, making the pool of water look unnatural (as if it was always dry there but someone pumped a bunch of water in recently). And speaking of the water, thee waves should be getting generated from the places the waterfalls are hitting it (windwaker has some nice simple examples of this), seems to be just kind of a layered noise right now.

Lighting also isn't working, it's overly-ambient and lacks any impact. Since it's a hand painted scene you'd normally either want to do the lighting completely by hand, or generate normal maps and create shaders to push the hand painted look in a specific direction.

It's not a bad start, but if you want this to be a real standout piece I think it still has a ways to go.
  • Lurcisia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lurcisia greentooth
    PolyHertz said:
    There's a lot I think should be changed in this scene. First, if the pink leaves are walling into the water some of them should also be on the rock. The tree itself doesn't look properly rooted into the rock face, like it's just sitting on top instead of dug in. The grass (?) coming off the top of the rock walls don't look right at all and should just be removed, possibly replaced by vines or some referenced real-world planet that would hang from such places. The grass at the base of the rocks also draws attention to the fact that there's no moss or wear at the water level, making the pool of water look unnatural (as if it was always dry there but someone pumped a bunch of water in recently). And speaking of the water, thee waves should be getting generated from the places the waterfalls are hitting it (windwaker has some nice simple examples of this), seems to be just kind of a layered noise right now.

Lighting also isn't working, it's overly-ambient and lacks any impact. Since it's a hand painted scene you'd normally either want to do the lighting completely by hand, or generate normal maps and create shaders to push the hand painted look in a specific direction.

It's not a bad start, but if you want this to be a real standout piece I think it still has a ways to go.
    I appreciate the feedback thank you! I dont plan on having any normal maps in this piece. wanted it to be entirely diffuse driven. When you say doing the lighting completely by hand, do you mean making the scene unlit and painting all the light into the models? or ?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Yep, unlit scene with mostly (if not entirely) unique textures so you can paint the lighting directly on to the models. Here's one of my favorite examples, or a more recent example.
  • Lurcisia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lurcisia greentooth
    PolyHertz said:
    Yep, unlit scene with mostly (if not entirely) unique textures so you can paint the lighting directly on to the models. Here's one of my favorite examples, or a more recent example.
    I see what you mean! thank you :)