Home Technical Talk

Splitting normal map rbg in photoshop question

Lerrp
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Lerrp polycounter lvl 2
I use different channels in my texturing process from my normal map, and have to go in and copy each channel in photoshop to a new layer every time I bake a normal map. I am not that great with scripts or actions. I am curious if anyone has stumbled upon a plugin or action I could download that would do this repetitive process of splitting the rgb for me each time??
Thanks

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Hi, maybe tell bit about the reason you have to split. Otherwise I would advise to get at least better with actions as this is what you're asking for
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    What's your target renderer? Maybe it would be more feasible to combine your channels in the shader
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    i guess my first response is, why are you doing this?  are you channeling packing or fixing some bake error where your normal map is in the wrong tangent space?

recording actions is fairly simple and sounds like it would automate your process.  simply press the record action button, do your steps and press the stop button when you are finished.  then switch to button mode and you should be able to click the button the future to repeat the steps. 

• Lerrp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lerrp polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for the responses. I think I have some actions sorted out after watching some tutorials. I am not sure if there is a better way. Right now I basically have to select the normal layer and then hit 3 separate buttons and reselect the layer each time. I wish I had a 1 click solution for all 3 channels but I realize how nit picky that is and am willing to accept my fate. 

As to why I am doing this. Basically, I am doing hand-painted stylized textures based off of zbrush sculpts. So I take the different channels to use as different masks for the texture.