Italian Alley [WIP] [UE4]

sprawa
triangle
Offline / Send Message
sprawa triangle
Hello. This is my first unreal engine project which i plan to post in my portfolio. Before i was doing only props, this is my 1st environment. Also a first project where i can learn unreal beside tutorials :) 
For now so far i have mostly 70% of models and from textures only foliage and cobblestone texture. If anything else has a texture then its just random smart material picked from substance painter just to see how the model look with it in unreal. 
So basically im quite far from the end, but i work on it everyday and very hard. 
Lightmaps are build with medium quality.
I post also my multi layer ground material , maybe someone will give me a tip about it. Because im not sure if my bump offset values are optimal for it ;P it also shines i think too much on the sun. .I think i might in the future go back to substance designer and change rougness little bit. I mixed it with same material but with dirt, with different variations. 
The lighting is directional light + sun skylight. 
I will place much more models here. There will be a restaurant on the first plan on the left, with chairs and tables. Behind it will be a cafe too, with some chairs and tables. On the right i plan to put one opened shop. Im not sure about the rest yet. I ll place more plants there. Mostly potted trees i think. And some other small assets, like bench , shop accesories, etc. 
So yes, this is my 1st unreal scene and also my 1st environment. I hope it will not end as crap because of that, but im ready to put a lot of work to it, to polish it. 
I will aprecciate any tips and critique with pleasure :) 

material

some of the references , but i also used google street view a lot 

Replies

• sprawa
    Offline / Send Message
    sprawa triangle
    a little bit of update :) 
    i've added tree, ivy, a lot of models and tweaked little bit ligjhting.
    Still a lot of to be done

• nicko_the_great
  • sprawa
    Offline / Send Message
    sprawa triangle
    Ok so the decision have been made - i needed other lighting that will be more appealing to the eye so i changed it completly. Some areas are still too dark but i think i will manage to light them easily. It will be brighter i think on the nest update. Especially i need to light better my fruit stand. They are too dark. Fruits in the bottom are not visible. Ill fix that hopefully :) 
    This is still like a "level lighting preview" because buildings still have preview textures, most props still have preview textures too. What do u guys think? That lighting is better ? Any critique is welcome. 
    I also ofc added these fruit stands and the jewerly shop , but its emty yet. Im gonna make some models for till next update here :) 
    I also lowered cobblestone rougness so in that lighting it loooks better i think :) 

• sprawa
    Offline / Send Message
    sprawa triangle
    Ok so i ve played with lighting little bit and thats what i got. Ill have both day and night versions. I think im almost satisfied with what night version offers. Ill makes final tweaks after ill work on texturres. And also i ll still have to add many models to the scene. Like a bike :P 
    About day scene ill have to light dark areas too.

• JamesRay
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesRay polycounter lvl 2
    Woah! this is looking cool. Loving the materials so far and how they are giving so much silhouette, Also great composition. Good Job!
  • TheGabmeister
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister greentooth
    I was wondering why one of the buildings has saturated purple on it. Is this a placeholder material?
  • sprawa
    Offline / Send Message
    sprawa triangle
    I was wondering why one of the buildings has saturated purple on it. Is this a placeholder material?

Hello! This is my first unreal engine project and im beginner and i have my own begginer/shaky workflow. These buildings dont have materials. Two of them does, but they are only for preview. They have standard materials attached with just random color from 3ds max, when they got exported into unreal. I guess the proper workflow would be - go make all models, exported them into unreal and make greybox level, make textures - render. But i kind of blended everything together  =) for example flowers have final textures, the italian chef figure if finished too i think. Cobblestone i think is done, unless i will figure out something that i could improve in it. But almost everything else has just preview materials. 
     I allready started working on textures of buildings today. I think i might make next update in the beggining of next week with all buildings having final (assuming ofc)  textures. 
    But i agree, that saturated purple doesnt look good. But im gonna make that textures until next update - at least for buildings. We will see   :)
    JamesRay said:
    Woah! this is looking cool. Loving the materials so far and how they are giving so much silhouette, Also great composition. Good Job!
    Hello!  :)  thank's ! Im really happy u like it  B) i hope when ill add textures u gonna like it even more !  :)