Home Career & Education

Old faggot want to be 3D Modeler.

I am 30 old, i know most of you are younger or i have no idea how old are you.
I decide to become 3D Modeler, before this, i was working as front end developer, i never liked coding and i thing got over me and decide to change something new.  I  have few friends who are 3D Modeler, i see this more exiting and more interesting, creating something from zero to kick ass character or creature. I always wanted to create something from 0, coding didn't give me this, always using someone else library to do on my project.

I like to know how are things as 3D Modeler for jobs and opportunities?
Is it possible to get remote/freelancing?
Does companies hire someone to work freelancing?
Does degree matter?
I live in country where we don't have gaming studios or vfx. So i want to relocate/immigrate somewhere.
If i have a kick ass portfolio or portfolio that stands from the crowd, will studios hire/sponsor me?  I am asking this. because i am not sure if i need a degree or not. Should i spend 85K Euros for 2 years bachelor degree, so i can relocate/immigrate?

Or,
Should i focus on my portfolio ?

Replies

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    At the age of 29 I quite my job in a legal department and 2 months before my 30th birthday I started learning 3d art - and the first time I even heard about Maya... I am now 35, since then I've worked 1 year as a QA tester, over 2 years as 3D artist in a small studio, 1 year in a major outsourcing studio for an AAA IP, and after a couple of months of freelancing for an AAA-studio I've started there yesterday. So yeah, its possible and age doesn't matter, but never the less its a tough thing to break through.

Bachelor makes sense if you need a visa. Simple truth is that a company can't just hire you because they like your porfolio if there are legal requirements. Because of that they actually won't even bother looking at your portfolio sometimes.

Now freelancing and working remote is an option and probably something becoming more and more common, but besides reaching the level required they also need to notice you and see you worth the risk - as any unknown person might be a security risk or potential leak. I've got my freelance gig from a former classmate from an online curse at Game Art Institute - where I was active on the board. That gig turned into an offer to join the studio, as I was actually also lving in the same town as own of their offices.

So summing it up:
    Highest priority is a portfolio - it has to be kick ass.
    Bachelor is important if you are in a area that doesn't have industry presence nor benefits like being part of the EU
    Being a professional and having a good rep is important as freelancer.
    Age is pretty much meaningless.

Good luck :)
  • Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    I've always wondered what it would be like to be an old bundle of sticks. You must have so many stories.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Surprisingly many people think I am several years younger than I really am - and I can act as immature as all my colleagues so I don't really stick out as much :D I definitely was the odd one back in my legal days, now I fit in fine :D

But yeah, age and previous job experience actually does help. I understand bigger companies better than many people just starting out and the things that come with that. Understanding group dynamics and things like this aren't skills that you can only learn in game studios. My dev lead in the small studio was surprised about me as an junior artist knowing when and how to speak up to affect the team (he was just seeing the 'junior' instead of a 31 year old with several years of work experience as well as master degree and a couple years of learning business economics). There are also things I've picked up from living in 4 different countries that a guy/girl out of college won't have.

So yeah, age isn't just a bad thing when it comes to being employed :D ...but my body does feel worse than it did last year :D
  • Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    Lol I was throwing goofs at the thread title, not your age. You old bundle of sticks, you. I'm 36 myself, so I have you beat. 

God damn we're old   :s
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Biomag said:
    Surprisingly many people think I am several years younger than I really am - and I can act as immature as all my colleagues so I don't really stick out as much :D I definitely was the odd one back in my legal days, now I fit in fine :D

But yeah, age and previous job experience actually does help. I understand bigger companies better than many people just starting out and the things that come with that. Understanding group dynamics and things like this aren't skills that you can only learn in game studios. My dev lead in the small studio was surprised about me as an junior artist knowing when and how to speak up to affect the team (he was just seeing the 'junior' instead of a 31 year old with several years of work experience as well as master degree and a couple years of learning business economics). There are also things I've picked up from living in 4 different countries that a guy/girl out of college won't have.

So yeah, age isn't just a bad thing when it comes to being employed :D ...but my body does feel worse than it did last year :D
      Is it necessary to be immature to work in the game industry?

I mean given what you're saying, it seems like age isn't an issue (usually) but maturity is? 
    Also do you get to use a lot of what you did back then at the studio, meaning does a studio see potential in using those skill sets and distinguishing your role?

I find game dev positions very structured, and most places I contract at think I'm producer or director given how I am apparently, so wondering if doing an MBA and then approaching the industry that way might be better. (I was a dentist before this, but did a diploma in game animation and now do freelance)

Like its fair to say keep pushing that portfolio but I'm not seeing a lot of consistency in the new hire's, like if I saw top tier work for each one and I was lacking then sure I need to work more, but even the work done at the studios doesn't always require a Grasseti/Diba level artist for junior/mid position, so I'm wondering if there is a better way to go about being a part of the industry than being just another artist.
       Also looking at longevity here given how notorious the game studios are self destructing and laying off people.

For OP, I would like to know how far along you are with your portfolio to justify any courses that might help. I've heard that front end work for web is quite stable, a lot of people I know here are considering bootcamps to get into that line of work.

Also I don't believe anyone would have an issue if you're gay (the faggot part - likely not the proper term)
       I've seen all kinds of employees among studios, seen pride flags in a couple of them, in Ontario for instance they actually give financial incentives to studios that hire from local transgender/minorities. 
      Most studios have certain codes with regards to what is considered appropriate behaviour among employees. 

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Is it necessary to be immature? No, not at all. You should know how far you can go like always in life and not act like a teenager. Just be normal. Still to most talking about games, cartoons, comics and stuff like that - basically being a bit nerdy is regarded immature in most other places. Me personally, not having kids or plans for kids, I also don't really end up talking about these more 'mature' themes that are more common for people in their 30s, since many at that age actually are in that situation ;)

Regarding  additional skillsets - The studio will be looking for a specific skill set, if you don't have it, most probably your secondary skill set won't matter. But if you check the primary needs your secondary skills might be useful. In small studios there might be a need for people to cover more bases at once so they might be a bit flexible when they see a specific cv, but even then I wouldn't bet on it. With larger studios though they will already have their team set and just be filling the blanks and not readjust their team structure because of some unique skill-combo.

For me it was mostly about life experience and soft skills from previous jobs, less about things that employers cared about when they made their offer. Keep in mind coming fresh out of college, having spent 2-4 years grinding out your skill set might leave you with very little else to talk about. Somebody with a decade or more on his/her bones might have seen and experienced things that are interesting to hear when you sit together at lunch :)